Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Bowel movement after appendectomy ?

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
I had my appendix removed 3 days ago and have yet to have a bowel movement. It doesn't seem to be needed, but I did have a small part of my colon removed along with my appendix due to some damage it had, so I am kind of nervous and waiting to see if things go back to normal. How long does it typically take to have a bowel movement after having an appendectomy?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Bowel function should return to its previous pattern within a week (usually after 3 days from surgery).
You are experiencing a constipation due to inactivity and use of narcotic pain killers.
Try to increase your fluid intake and eat mainly food rich in fibers.
Mild stool softener is sometimes recommended.
|
Did you find this post helpful?