Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Botox for strabismus

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
Howdy i would like to find out any feedback from anyone who has had botox injections for a lazy eye. Ive had eye surgery on my left eye because it turned out now it turns in. Ive read about getting botox but really worried it wont work.
Please let me know!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2008
Supporter
risks of botox for strabismus
Botox injections work by weakening or paralyzing certain muscles or by blocking certain nerves. The treatment for strabismus using botox takes a few minutes. Botox starts working within a few hours or days. The effects last about three to four months.

There are risks associated with this procedure. Botox is a toxin and can be potent in high concentrations. Only small, diluted amounts of Botox are used in treatments. Having an eye doctor or ophthalmologist perform your Botox treatment helps to ensure the safety of your eyes and your vision.

The most common side effects from Botox are headache and temporary redness or bruising of the skin at the injection site. More serious complications are rare but nearby muscles could be affected and weakened. If Botox seeps below the eyebrow and into the muscle that controls eyelid function, the eyelid might droop (ptosis). Though the effect is not permanent and will eventually go away as the Botox wears off, drooping eyelids may temporarily obstruct your ability to see.

For more information: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/botox.h tml
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
Had it done
I was born with strabismus and had two eye surgeries to correct it at 1yr and 18 months. After that, my eyes were fine until I hit puberty. At that time, my left eye turned in. I had botox injections in my eyes and they were straight for about 3 months before the left one turned back in. I had it done a year later with the same result. From what I have read, you can do this often, every 3 months to keep your eye straight. It was an easy, outpatient procedure, and from what I remember I had some eye soreness, but nothing major! I have had 3 eye surgeries since that time, and can tell you that the Botox is a walk in the park and gave me great results! Even after all my 7 surgeries, my left eye still turns... now it just turns out some. I would go Botox, and probably will before my wedding!

Hope this helps...
|

replied February 20th, 2009
had it done 4 days ago
had this done on left eye a few months ago - 1/2 dose - no real effect - had it done 4 days ago - full dose - left eye straight - amazing!! but slightly up now (looks v. slightly to ceiling but of curse I see this as if it is looking down) but I have little vision in the eye so it does not matter - it still looks heaps better
|

replied June 1st, 2009
but how does it move in sync with the other eye?
|

replied October 12th, 2009
pantsy wrote:
but how does it move in sync with the other eye?

I am thinking of getting Botox done and also concerned at how the eyes move in sync. If a muscle is paralysed then does that mean that the eye cannot move in a certain direction (eg inwards) which may then lead to double vision when looking in a particular direction?

Also if the eye cannot move then does this make the cosmetic appearance worse when looking, for instance to the left as one eye will be looking to the left whilst the other remains looking straight ahead?
|

replied December 3rd, 2010
Botox for the treatment of Strabismus in my 5 year old
My doctor has suggested Botox treatment for my 5 year old son (he's had one unsuccessful surgery)...has anybody else had this treatment at this young age? Successful? Does it only work for a few months and then you have to continue to have it done indefinitely??
|

replied February 27th, 2011
we too are wondering the same thing our daughter is four, and childrens boston has suggested it after a failed surgery attempt, did you do it, what was the result if so?
|

replied February 27th, 2011
we too are wondering the same thing our daughter is four, and childrens boston has suggested it after a failed surgery attempt, did you do it, what was the result if so?
|

replied March 2nd, 2011
Botox to straighten
I had this proceedure performed more for my double vision than my cosmetic straightening. You need to understand that at first the eye will turn the opposite direction and can remain like this for a week or two before straightening out. IMy double vision actually got worse and my eye is still not straight4 months later. For some reason the botox lasted longer than normal on me. The proceedure itself was quick and painless. I am not sure I would put a child through it though.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
How long did it last on you+
Are you're eyes straight now, and how long did it take? I had the same surgery and my eyes wont go back either, and it's now 3 months after the surgery.
|

replied April 9th, 2011
I had two times surgery for my lazy eye and now it turn back like before. and thinking of getting botox. do you know where i can find the clinic in stockholm sweden? and how much the cost?
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Hi, I had two times surgey for my lazy eye on my right eye and in a few month it turn back like before. Im thinking to try to get botox. do you know how it works and where i can find the clinic in stockholm sweden? and how much the cost?
|
Quick Reply