Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Both ears muffled and ringing?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I'm a 20 year old female who has had perfect hearing my entire life. I have Reactive Hypoglycemia and Celiac Disease. I have had seasonal allergies since I was child. I also think it's important to add that I have small Eustachian tubes, as noted by my doctor.

On March 14th, I woke up with ringing in both of my ears, and muffled hearing. My hearing is fine when I am in a quiet room. However, if there is background noise, (loud music, a crowd talking, etc.) I only hear 85%-90% of what is being said. If the person is in another room from me, I also have a bit of trouble. Other symptoms include my ears popping randomly and whenever I swallow, sinus cavity pains on my forehead and across the bridge of my nose, drainage down my throat/"croopy" voice, a feeling of pressure in my ears, occasionally itchy ear canals, and, when purposely trying to open my Eustachian tubes, a creaking sound in my ears, like someone is stepping on a floorboard.

My friend's mom, who is a nurse, had me do the "Hum Test" and the phone test. Both of my ears have equal hearing, so she does not suspect that I have a sudden hearing loss.

I have not been exposed to loud noises. I have never been to a shooting range, nor have I shot a gun, I have never been to a bar/club, I have never been to a concert, and I even wear ear plugs when watching fireworks because my ears are usually sensitive. Admittedly, between the ages of 10-15, I spent about one to two hours a night listening to my Walkman with headphones on 100% volume. However, between the ages of 15-20, I have used my iPhone to play music. I try to always use noise-canceling ear buds and/or headphones. I never listen to my music at 100% volume, and am careful to keep it at 70%-75% volume or lower for 45 minutes to an hour at a time with an hour or more break in between. (Before this incident, I kept my volume at 40%-50%.)

I am VERY nervous because after nine days, my symptoms have not gotten any better. Each day, I have taken Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray, (Flonase), a decongestant, and my regular vitamins. (Vitamin D, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, etc.) My doctor is hesitant to once again put me on amoxicillin because I have taken it regularly since I was 17. (I have gotten sinus infections twice a year since that age.)

Do my symptoms sound like I have just another sinus infection, or should I be worried that I have permanently lost some of my hearing? The pollen count has been very high in my area lately.

I apologize for the lengthiness, but I appreciate anyone who reads this and responds.

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|