Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Bony lump on rib ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I recently went to the doctor because of some pain I was having on the right half of my rib cage and my back. I was diagnosed with costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage, caused by sever coughing, getting hit, even laughing) and I was put on a steroid to reduce the swelling. One evening I was massaging my aching side when I came across a lump on one of my ribs...I had never noticed it before. It's hard and smooth, and it feels like it's part of the rib, but it kind of sticks out, and it's not on my other side. It's not visible, I have to feel for it, but it is definitely noticeable. I went back to the doc to get it checked out, and she felt of it and said that "it feels like part of your rib". I had also had some x-rays done earlier that week for the costochondritis, and she looked at those and said that they were fine...and that if it were cancer it would most likely show up as bone deterioration.

But despite this, it still has me very worried, because in all my internet searches, I can't find a cause for it other than some kind of horrible cancer...I don't have any of the telltale symptoms for cancer (night sweats, rapid weight loss, loss of apatite, bruising, anemia, fatigue, high fever, nausea, vomiting, etc) but the lump is to large to ignore. It's probably about the size of a quarter, maybe a half dollar. The lump seems to be confined to just one rib. Oh, and it's not really painful to the touch, but it's hard to tell, because I've been poking at it so much.

Does anybody know what it could be? Do ribs sometimes just grow like that? I'm a 17 year old male, by the way, and something of a hypochondriac.

Thanks in advance,
~Connor
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rhleocp
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Same Thing
Hey Connor,
I have the same thing, do you sometimes get shooting pains in it, and around the rest of your chest anywhere? I also have what feels like pain in my arm. I'm going to the doctors to get it checked out, it just sucks because I don't have insurance. Let me know if you found anything else out.

Thanks,
Mark
|

replied September 8th, 2009
same
Hey guys, i'm a 21 year old female..always been healthy growing up and now all of a sudden I have the same thing. I noticed it about two days ago when I went to lay on my stomach on a hard surface..pain shot right up my chest. I tried feeling for a fracture and I found a lump on my right rib. Same like you mark I dont have insurance so I'm trying to be excepted at this free clinic on thursday, if they dont take me I dont know what I'm going to do. I hope you guys the best and hope that we find out what this is. If you guys by any chance already did let me know

thankyou,
Tiffany
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
i actually have the same thing! i am a 19 year old female. and i noticed just a few months ago that i have this bony lump that is hard and smooth on my left rib. i am just as worried as you guys are because ive checked on internet cites about this and shows up as some cancers. I am worried that it could be and i am as well a hypochondriac. however this bone does not bother me when i sleep on although sometimes when i lay stomach down on my bed i can feel it poking out. I just think about it all day sometimes and i can feel it even when im not touching it. Im hoping its nothing serious and it doesnt get any bigger. anyways let me know if u get any new news.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
Well I have it too I am 49 but the good news is I have had them many times before and they come and go. How ever they can be a little painful that is about it. I do remember going to the doctor years ago for the same thing and I believe he said it was fatty tissue maybe from coughing but clearly remembering it was nothing to be alarmed over. I too am a hypochondriac.
I would relax.

Alan
|

replied January 14th, 2010
I have something similar. I thought that I pulled my back the other day (no idea how) and was trying to figure out which muscle I pulled when I found a lump on a left rib towards the end. I am also a bit of a hypochondriac, but usually the things I focus on are actually something. It doesnt hurt, but I am aware of where it is - maybe because I have been focusing on it. It is very hard tho, feels like part of the bone. Can fatty tissue be that hard and wouldn't that be something more that comes between the ribs? This is distinctly attached to my rib...
Riley
|

replied July 6th, 2010
I have the exact same thing on one of my right ribs. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I woke up with what felt like muscle pain through my right ribs, even though I have no idea how I could have injured myself. That pain faded, but has left behind a more "structural" pain, from one or two ribs when certain pressures are placed on them. Then a few days ago when I was massaging the area, I found a hard lump on the bone of one rib, and I realized this is where the pains are probably originating from. I'm hoping to see a doctor later in the week but I am a little scared. The only thing I'm clinging to is I did have a cough recently so hopefully it could be an injury from that; it feels so "not right" to touch though... Yes, I am a bit of a hypochondriac too, lol.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Hard painless lump on rib
I'm a seventeen year old female who has had the exact same condition for a few years now. I've had it checked about three times, and they have also X-rayed it. They claimed that is was most likely cartilage connecting my ribs because nothing showed up on the X-rays. It is very hard though, and feels like bone. It doesn't cause me pain but it's very pronounced-especially when I lay down. They always told me it would eventually disappear with age but that is clearly not the case. I have a hard time telling if it has increased in size or not. It's more just a nuisance and something to be self conscious of then something I'm legitimately concerned about at this point!

Did you find out any more information on the matter? Please let me know Smile
|

replied October 31st, 2011
Same thing I was told I have a cyst (don't know if that's the right spelling) it's basically a unnatural growth. It shouldn't be dangerous. I've had it for about 2-3 years now and am fine (I'm 17 now so yeah)
|

replied January 31st, 2013
I have the same sort of thing with swelling on the ribs a hard lump on the surface and a very hard lump that grows slowley under my breast bone to the left I was taken to hospital with incredibly bad pain when breathing to have nothing show up but inflammation and hardening of that area to the left side. I've given up on tests and hope the pain doesn't come back. If anyone finds out what it is pls let me know so I know what sort of things to be tested for and what to ask the doctor to check for.
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2013
Especially eHealthy
doggy,

You do not say what type of testing has been done to this point.

If your symptoms return, you most likely should have a CT scan done. If the mass is bony, it can be evaluated by a CT scan.

If the findings on the CT are equivical, then an MRI should be done, to look at the soft tissues.

A bone scan is usually done to determine if the mass is biologically active. It can also determine if there is inflammation around the mass.

This is the usual work up for an mass of unkown etiology.

If the physician thinks that the mass is cancerous, then a CT scan of the chest is done to look for metastasis.

Blood work is done to look for inflammation, bone disorders, anemia, etc.

So, if your pain returns or the mass changes in character, then you and your physician need to discuss how the work up is going to proceed.

Good luck.
|

replied October 9th, 2013
Bump on rib
Guys, I just went to the chriopractor and its just inflamation from a dislocated rib, might go away after a while, mines on my back, under the shoulder blade...
|

replied March 15th, 2014
I have the same hard lump on my rib the doctor said the same that u all were told that its cartilage that is swelled up but this thing is getting bigger. Before u could just feel it now I can see it sticking out I can even see the lump threw my shirt I'm really freaking out about this cuz it keeps getting bigger its like a golf ball under my left breast on my rib. I wish it would go away all I did was shoot some baskets in the gym didn't hurt myself were I would of fractured my rib I don't even think I pulled a muscle. This is very weird and im getting scared because it's getting bigger please Someone let me know how to get rid of it or what to do please. Thank you all for ur help. Steve D.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 23rd, 2014
hard lump on left rib bone
I also have the exact same problem. a hard lump on one of my left rib bones that i found out today. first, i started to have different types of pains on everywhere of my back about 2-3 months ago and then a fews weeks ago on my ribs. it used to wake me up every night 3 - 3,5 hours after i went to sleep. i would wake up and sit and relax for about an hour and then go sleep again still with some pain and worrying if i would be able to go sleep again. then it would partially ease and i would wake up with relatively less pain but still hurting much. but after waking up it would start easing untill everything seemed to have gone completely. but i would feel all the pain when i coughed. and also i always feel the pain on my rib if i touch on it. i did not go doctor untill the pain came such a level that i ended up at emergency service. after x-ray doctor told thers nothng wrong with the x ray and gave me painkiller and muscle flexing drugs. it really worked for about 24 hours but is not a treatment at all. i have been using it for weeks now and as i said i still feel pain on rib when touched. finally last week i went normal doctor and after he looked xray, wanted blood tests of different analysis. they took blood samples and i am now waiting for the results to take to doctor. but today in the morning while touching to check for pain i felt the lump on one of ribs and i am so scared. i feel really depressed and scared. i am 25 male. and since 11 years old, i have had pains all over my legs - at knees, hip joints, different parts of different muscles of my legs at different times or at the same time. it is so unpredictable but generally frequent at winters and cold or rainy days. btw, i have not needed the drugs for the last two days even the ribs i think have decreased that i feel when i touch.
|

replied September 19th, 2014
Anyone find out an answer? I am having a CT Scan done this week. Very nervous. 34 female here.
|

replied December 7th, 2014
Rib lump
I have got a lump on my rib which feels like bone, and I do not remember how it initially happened though was shortly after playing a football match, it was painful for a couple of weeks then went away, but I (unfortunately) got impacted in the rib cage in another football match which brought the same pain back, the pain again went away a week later, but was aggravated when I went for a run. It is slightly there still a week or two later but I have noticed the lump, and don't know why it is there as feels bony. I can't see how this will disappear due to the bone-like nature of it. If I was to guess I would say I bruised or dislocated a rib, but do these type of injuries ever heal properly?

I am thinking of seeing a doctor this week.
|