Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

bone island and labral tear in hip

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I had surgery for bladder suspension and had horrible hip pain upon waking. The pain has persisted for over 6 months. Pain is in front of leg and groin area. X-ray was done several months after surgery, showed nothing. Pain has intensified in last month to where it is painful to walk and sit. Pain at night, also. They repeated x-ray last week and it shows bony island in hip and the doctor suspects labral tear. Are they related or two seperate problems? Has scheduled MRI Arthrogram? The pain is now everyday and multiple times a day it is severe upon standing or moving. What are treatment options?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
irisred,

The pain in your hip upon waking from surgery could have been caused by the way you were positioned during surgery. If you were in the lithotomy position (feet up in stirrups), this can put a lot of pressure on the hips, especially if they are flexed too much.

But, as to the bone island and the labral tear, they are separate conditions. A bone island is a small area of cortical (dense) bone that is sequestered within the cancellous (spongy) bone. The cortical bone is normal in character, it is just not exactly where it is supposed to be. Conventional teaching states that these are incidental findings and are of no significance. However, you can find anecdotal testimonials that they cause pain throughout the internet.

A labral tear in the acetabulum (hip socket) is usually due to trauma or degeneration. The labrum is a cartilage ring that goes around the rim of the acetabulum, which helps deepen the socket, making the joint more stable.

A condition which has gotten a lot of attention within the orthopedic community of late is femoral-acetabular impingement (FAI). With hip arthroscopy becoming more common, this condition has come to the surgeons' attention. FAI can be determined on plain x-rays, by doing specific measurements about the hip. The MRI (+/- arthrogram) can usually tell if the labrum is torn.

Currently, labral tears are treated with hip arthroscopy, but if the problem can not be taken care of through the 'scope, then the procedure has to be converted to an open procedure, with possible dislocation of the hip, to gain access to the labrum.

After you have your MRI arthrogram speak with the surgeon and have him/her discuss all of the findings with you. Be sure to discuss your treatment options and all of the risks and benefits of each.

Good luck.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
LABRAL HIP TEAR NEUROGENIC BLADDER
Hello. I have had a labral tear in my Right hip for 6.5 years. It has affected my bladder and made my urine reflux back up to my kidneys. Possibly because my hip flexor is tight? The cortisone shot injected into my hip has helped as has massage therapy. But its quite a mess. Has anyone else had this unusual side affect from a labral tear in their hip? Im at my emotional witts end. Thank you Heather
|