Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Bone Cancer (MRI Result Interpretation)

This is regarding my grandmother who is 80 years old.

The MRI results said: "After intravenous injection of 25.2 mCi TC-MDP, multiple delayed images were performed over the whole skeleton. Intense increased activity is noted in right side of T8-T12, L4, L5 and right acetabulum. Mild increased activity is noted in both shoulders and right clavicle."
IMPRESSION: 1. Metastatic bone disease in right side of T8-T12, L4, L5, right clavicle and right acetabulum. 2. Arthritis in both shoulders.
ADDENDUM A: In comparison to previous study in 2009, the lesions in T8, T9, T10, T12, right clavicle, and right acetabulum are new.

I just want some ideas on how bad this sounds and just straight up answers on how to interpret these results that my grandma got from her last MRI (NM Bone scan whole body) results. If someone can figure some of this language out, it would be nice. I am just hoping it isn't stage 4 and the metastasis isn't spreading too fast.

What is her life expectancy based on these results? (I understand that its unpredictable but a general ballpark would be nice)

I would appreciate it a lot. Thank you!

Note: She has been getting regular check ups and MRIs every year. Also, she will be seeing an oncologist probably sometime this week. But I just wanted some input and answers before I get it from the doctor so that I can deal with it better. Thanks for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2010
You did not state whether or not your grandmother has previously been diagnosed with cancer. Since you did not offer this information, all I can say is that the MRI report does strongly suggest the presence of metastatic cancer to the bone.

While multiple different types of cancer can spread to the bone, in women, breast cancer is the most common cause. In such cases, long-term survival may still be possible if the breast cancer can be controlled with medications (in some cases, radiation treatment to the affected bones may also be helpful).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.