Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Bone Bruise on Talus

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I am an active 24 yr old women. I sprained my ankle in a basketball game on Feb. 1st. The next day I went to the ER to get an x-ray and confirmed that nothing was broken/fractured. I was a little dumb the 2 weeks after and didn't stay on the crutches but I didn't attempt to work out.

The pain continued (swelling as well) until I finally went to the doctors in May. I got an MRI and found I had a bone bruise on my Talus. I went on crutches and had a hard air cast for 3 weeks and did PT. I'm still in pain.

My doctor said he was surprised I was still in pain. My PT said it would take a while to heal and athlete friends say I should stay completely off of it.

I know bone bruises take forever to heal, but I'm sick of being hurt and not be able to run and fully workout.

What should I and should not be doing? Any advice will help. PT said elliptical, yoga, swimming, and non impact stuff. Doc didn't really help much ( he said if it still hurts in a 1-2 months come back for another MRI but I dont want to be hurt for 2 more months
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 21st, 2010
Bruised Talus
LMAC - I feel your pain. I bruised my talus along with some tendon/ligament damage at the beginning of March 2010. I'm still fighting some instability and "twinges" when I'm too active. I was an avid runner but am still afraid to really challenge it as I'm terrified it will happen again. There were some exercises that helped strengthen the ankle and gave me some stability back. They are easy and pretty simple. Do them 2-3 times a day in a 3 set rotation: Balance on the injured foot for 1-3 minutes (as long as it's not painful), 15 toe raises (hold at top of toe raise for a count), 15 reverse toe raises (pull your toes up off the ground & hold for a count), balance on injured foot with knee slightly bent & then move opposite foot back & then forward the length of a normal stride but don't put foot down. These all help with balance & proprioception. Be patient. I'm hoping to "feel" 100% by the end of summer. I've been told it just takes a lot of time/patience. Good luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?