Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

body trembles at night (Page 1)

Sometimes at night while lying in bed, when I am just about to fall asleep, it feels like we are having a mild earthquake or an aftershock. But in reality, it is my body. This can last any where from a few minutes to a few hours. I have never discussed this with my doctor, and I have no idea what causes it. I take a few medications, but none of them list this as a symptom.

The first time it happened, I had just fallen asleep, and it woke me up. At first I thought my husband was shaking the bed, but he was fast asleep, and wasn't moving. Then I thought it might be a mild earth tremor, but it was not that either. It was a few moments before I was awake enough to realize that it was my body. Unlike when you get the shivers, this was a slow, consistent tremble of my entire body.

I have searched online, trying to find an answer, but have yet to find anything as I have just described. I do not suffer from anxiety, I do not frighten easily, and I do not have a nervous disorder. I am normally a very relaxed, laid back person. If it can't kill me, I don't worry about it. sunbathe These body trembles only happen occasionally. Maybe once every 7-9 months. I just lie there, and wait for it to stop, and then go back to sleep. If I cannot get back to sleep, then I will get up and do something until I am tired enough to get to sleep.

I do have a sleeping disorder, but I have had that most of my life, and I have only had these body trembles for the past few years. I am in my fifties. If anyone knows anything about this sort of experience, or have had this condition analyzed by your doctor, then I would love to hear from you as to the cause. I would like to know what makes my body do this. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fnhn
|

replied August 22nd, 2008
Actual time & date of posting
5:05am(BST) 23 August 2008
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Try Zantac after dinner,I was suggested this by someone and it worked.Why it works I don't know,my guess is that stomach acid causes brain excitement at night.let us know if it works
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
I have this problem, too. I am male, 30 years old. It only happens to me if I am out of shape, and/or if I am lacking sleep. As I am about to fall asleep, I get these light trembles. I thought it was my heart racing at first, but now I know it is not. However, if I am exercising daily and never lacking sleep it never happens. I use it as my indicator for when I am not being healthy, and it motivates me to sleep right and exercise. Hope that helps someone Smile
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
body trembles at night
I'm having the same problems and can't figure out why its happening but I'm guessing its stress you might not think you are stress because I thought I could handle anything but I really think thats what it might be. I feel better knowing I'm not alone and hope to find more info on line on what it might be.

Thanks
|

replied August 18th, 2011
I also have the same issues with sleep and doctors can't figure it out
|

replied February 12th, 2009
Body vibrating
I have been in menopause for not too long now, and of course have experienced some interesting symptoms since being in menopause, but one of the strangest, is something that happened last night. While sleeping, my husband rolled over to put his arm around me. He asked me why I was shaking. I told him I wasn't shaking as I didn't notice it. He said indeed I was. I didn't think much of it, but as I awoke a little more, I certainly could feel the most gentle vibrating sensation throughout the core of my body. It wasn't painful, it didn't keep me from sleeping, it was just odd. I never had this before, and believe me my husband would have noticed. What is this from? Could it be hormones? Stress? Lack of a neurotransmitter? What? Anyone know?
|

replied June 19th, 2009
Body tremors
Im 24 years old. Im currently experiencing what I thought were aftershock tremors since we have had some very frequently now. I dropped my mattres to ground level and placed a pencil just to make sure if it was an earth tremor to not confuse it. I found out its me shaking. And not just shaking but feeling as though my bed was moving and the pencil balanced next to me never fell. Ive been looking for an answer on the internet and this is the closest Ive come to any information related to this. Hope someone has an opinon
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Its not bad just take some sleep aid you will be fine.
I am blessed by god today that i know what it is take some night sleep aid and let your body do its work it opened my eyes how our body really function " your forehead become like an oven then sweat come out of your body then your your jaws become clicking lol let me know is it true i can't tell you more then that, its a secret last about 30-40 min after that fun stuff" believe in god he made us good that process is not bad just take some sleep aid and pass out and don't drink alcohol in excess that's is the reason you are awake the next few days on the first place. Happy dreams
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Re: Body tremors
DarthMike wrote:
Im 24 years old. Im currently experiencing what I thought were aftershock tremors since we have had some very frequently now. I dropped my mattres to ground level and placed a pencil just to make sure if it was an earth tremor to not confuse it. I found out its me shaking. And not just shaking but feeling as though my bed was moving and the pencil balanced next to me never fell. Ive been looking for an answer on the internet and this is the closest Ive come to any information related to this. Hope someone has an opinon

Must be that your body is week or you in take 2 much sugar and it went hyper the process these ppl here are telling happen only when subconscious is up and showing you dreams i.e you are a sleep
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Body tremers
Wow I'm excited to know some people are feeling the same thing as me. A gentle rocking almost like when aparent rocks there baby to sleep but no one is there. I'm 28 and have had sleeping issues in the past. This has been happening for about 6 months.I wait till I have very sleepy because I don't like the sensation
|

replied November 13th, 2009
I feel this is due to stress or a feel of helplessness am not sure though. I have seen my friend suffer from this.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
Me too
I have this same problem too...It's scary at times but usually goes away once I get a warm blanket. Happens almost every night...spoke to my doctor about it but it continues to happen.
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
trembling at night
I, too have experienced this event. At first, I blamed it on the Levequin I was taking, but I am not on that anymore. Like some of you others, this is not a nightly thing, it just happens once in a while to me, but it is my whole body and it's just the weirdest thing. In addition to this, I feel odd when it happens, I feel weak and like I am in a dream or something. I am not confused, I just feel unexplainably funky. It's very odd. I am a 55 yr old female. I wish all of you luck with this, including myself. Smiles and blessings to all of you who suffer as I do from this.
|

replied February 13th, 2010
Wow, I'm glad to read this from all you guys. I'm 28 and this just started to happen to me within the last month. It only happens in the mornings. I have been going to bed later because I live closer to work. I was very scared and am still of this weird feeling. It literally feels like a train is going by outside my window. I find that I clench my arms and wrist when I sleep. I thought maybe that was the problem but I cant find anything online about it. Glad to know that Im not the only one though. Good luck guys and please keep on posting with updates.
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Trembling
So glad I''m not alone. Has anyone found a cause for this?
|

replied July 10th, 2010
Thank you for the post.
|

replied July 14th, 2010
Body Trembling
I googled body trembling and found this site. I too have had these symptoms and too thought earthquake tremors or the person I was sleeping with was moving the bed. What is going on. It's seems scary to me that all of your too are having the same symptoms. Why are we having these symptoms. I am under a lot of stress and pass it off to this but now that I'm reading all of you too are having the same kind of symptoms I am very skeptical.
|

replied July 19th, 2010
I too suffer from this same problem. It does not happen every night but has become more frequent over the last year or so. There must be a common thread with everyone who suffers from this...glad to find out I'm not the only one.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Unknown Body tremors
I too am having episodes of uncontrollable involuntary bodily shaking. Muscles jump until my whole body starts shaking. They last for about 30 - 40 minutes and recently have come in waves over a period of a few hours. It got so bad the other night that I went to the ER at two in the morning. Only to have the Dr. tell me that he couldn't find anything wrong, and he suggested night terrors, (which I know I don't have)sleep disorder and seizures. He did give me a prescription for clonazepam, which he made me take one as a muscle relaxer and was told that it is a drug to relieve seizure symptoms. I must say after taking I did have deep restful sleep and all the symptoms subsided for 24 hrs. However, being some one who likes the natural route, this is not an option for me. Also, had just been to the internal medicine Dr. two days before for all kinds of blood tests, EKG, chest x-rays and soon MRI, colon tests etc. All the tests so far have come back fine, showing this 56 year old body in good health. It all remains a mystery, but am hoping to unravel. Will continue to post any future findings, in hope that it might help those of you who are also suffering. PS. There is no pain associated with these tremors only teeth chattering and body shaking from head to toe.
|
Users who thank whodat1 for this post: TremblingBee 

replied September 19th, 2012
I have found that trembling or quivering of the core especially at night is our nervous system reacting usually to a combination of things.... Older nerves that have been under stress, change in hormones, and our stored up acid in our fat cells. I learned a lot from reading ph balancing books and increasing your minerals ESP. Magnesium which buffers acid created by stress. Vitamin b is a big help too esp. B1, b6, b12 so I take a complex b capsule daily. All of this has helped me. In addition added warmth helps to stop the trembling even if I don't feel cold.
|
Users who thank fnhn for this post: micimouse 

replied July 31st, 2010
I am 29. I have episodes where my body gently rocks itself any time of day when I am sitting, frequently my feet don't stop moving when I first lay down, my husband jokes that we have a vibrating bed. Sometimes I think we have had an earthquake because it feels like it when I am lying in bed reading and we didn't. But the scariest feeling I have had was last night. I was vividly dreaming. In my dream I was in a dark room with a little bit of light. Suddenly it felt like in my dream and real life that a large hand was holding and squeezing my torso and violently shaking me. I was trying to scream for help in my dream but it wasn't working. My husband tried waking me for real but couldn't for a few moments. He said I was outwardly screaming and moving and that it was creepy. I couldn't tell that I was doing it at all. It was all in my dream for me but my body was outwardly reacting in reality. What could it be? Are they all related symptoms of something else?
|

replied July 31st, 2010
Possible Night Terror
Dear impulsive,
What you are describing sounds like a night terror. My son use to get them
when he was small and we could not wake him up until he was done acting out his terror. You might want to read up on this...for many adults also suffer.
|

replied August 1st, 2010
Thank you. I will research more on that. I don't want to creep my husband out anymore nor do I want to be afraid to fall asleep. I hope there is a remedy.
|
12 >>