Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

blurred vision followed by headache (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
hello,i have been experiencing some absurd headache problem since 2 months..i really don't know the actual thing causing it..i experienced it about 4 times during those last 2 months.its always in the same pattern..firstly my vision is affected.i have a blur vision for about 10-20 minutes then when my vision returns back to normal,my head start paining.it pains at both sides of my head.Its like a pulsating pain.it last for 1 or 2 hours...i dont know what is wrong and why am getting this thing..so please help me out..
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Dexter5522
|

replied May 12th, 2009
tunnel vision
I am having the same problem first the tunnel vision then a pounding headache/migraine. I would also love to know what it is. I have some what figured out that i trigger it when i work out for some reason.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Blurry vision followed by headache
i get it too! i hate it so much. I think for me its cause by slouching or when i work out and do strenuous sports like squash or sit-ups. I think it's some nerve that is being affected somewhere around the neck region. I'm not too sure. The eye doctor I went to doesn't really have much of a clue and this frustrates me. I realise I get it when I'm using the pc or watching television most of the time.
|

replied October 20th, 2009
Its probably a migraine. See your doctor though to be sure. I have the same problem.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Any blurred vision and headache can be serious, however if you are older check this out...It could be far more serious...

Caroline
|

replied November 10th, 2009
Blurry Vision
I am 48 and I have been getting the blurred vision problem for 20 years usually about an hour after strenuous exercise (squash) but sometimes only little exercise. In fact I got it the other day while baking biscuits?? Starts with small blurry circle then it gets wider in an arc until it disappears out of my vision entirely, takes around 20 mins and you definitely cannot drive. I found I always got a headache afterwards, and take panadeine now to avoid the bad headache/migraine that might ensue. I had a doctor do tests and only concluded that I was getting the symptoms of a migraine with or without the headache - not much help. I am used to it now, they are much less frequent, only maybe once every couple of years and I still play squash.
|

replied April 24th, 2013
Did you ever find out what this is? I had this exact same thing happen to me today after a boxing work out. Small blurry circle and it enlarged into an arc. Currently it's on the outer portion of my vision and almost gone. No head ache as of yet. Curious to know what your diagnosis was before I go to a doctor.
Thanks,
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
glyph
It's the same for me.
Im 15 and i get them randomly, usually when im in school. At first i panic, beacuse im thinking 'oh no not this again' and it starts of like when i look at someone in the middle of their face is like a blury circle and after about 10 minutes its fully blown and i have serious tunnel vision so i cant see anything around me. However i tend to only get them in my left eye. My vision slowly brgins to get better and totally back to normal after 30 minutes.I usually sit down and have a drink of water. But it doesnt stop their, it's usually followed by a massive headache/migrane which can last me for about an hour. However, sometimes my vision just goes back to normal and i get on with my day. I was recently told this is called a 'glyph' . I get them around 2-3 times every 6 months and have had them for a couple of years now. And im sorry but this is all i can tell you on the matter. I to would be fascinated to know what 'this' is and why it occurs ?!
|

replied May 30th, 2011
mine have the same out come but it doesn't necessarly start off the same. I tend to see little speckles of light floating in a circle of darkness then it bounces back in but everythings blurry. I was thinking it was because my right eye wasn't on direct alignment as my left but it has gotten worse. I'm 13 years old and have been having them sinnce I was seven. They start off as a bad migrane then my vision started to get blurred. It stays like this for up to 20 minutes. Then everything go's black. I talked to my doctor about it and he said that he didn't seem to
understand my blackouts I still haven't found a cause so if any one can give me advise please contact me at
|

replied March 6th, 2010
Hi Dexter, sorry you are only 15 and suffering already, mine started in my 20's. I thought back then I had low blood sugar levels and would have a choc bar before I played strenuous sport, it didn't do any harm (luckily), think it may have helped a bit. Can only recommend you take some pain killers when the blur vision starts, because the headache can be nasty.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
Hi i often suffer from the same problem im 16 and started getting it when i was around 13. My mom and dad have suffered from the same/similar thing as well as my brother and sister and for all of them it starts at around the same age. I suffer the exact same symptoms as 'carbouk' above. My family has seen the doctor several times about headaches and its nothing to worry about seeing as it happens to a lot of people. Everyone suffers from headaches in different ways. It is only to worry about if you're the type of person that never gets headaches and all of a sudden suffers from these. It still happens to my parents so i dont think its something which goes away unfortunately Sad
|

replied May 1st, 2010
'It is only to worry about if you're the type of person that never gets headaches and all of a sudden suffers from these.' ...Now im worried ! lol i started having them like 2 years ago, but since then have never been one to get headaches, and even now its uncommon for me to just get a regular headache ! :S Sad
|

replied May 13th, 2010
A small solution (temporary)
I've been getting this for I'd say 2 months and what I found out is that when it happens you should immediatly go in your bed and cover your eyes with a blanket or something. What this does is basically when your vision is blury, it really irritates your brain which will cause you to get a headache. But by covering your eyes your making it pitch dark which means your eyes don't need to process and quality at all. Do this for 20 minutes.
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
i get the same exact things,,, ALL syptoms from above every single question and statement... i have a great doctor... he explains that they are stress migraine headaches... all u can really do is take i b prophen.. or atleast thats what works for me. as soon as the vision problem starts.. asap!
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Headache - blurred vision
I am 25 and I started getting this around 5 years ago, and I underwent several tests like MRI scans etc, it was caused by (now I cant remember exactly what it was called) but basically it was something at the back of my neck that could trigger a stroke at anytime.

When it first started I would be sitting at my desk and my eyesight would go all blurry, and eventually it would blackout completely more so in the right eye but occassionally in both. Thgis could last for beween 10 minutes to 3 hours. Since the last of my tests around 3 years when it was diagnosed, I havent suffered again until today when it came back with vengence, the blurred vision happened in both eyes and has been ongoing for 2 hours and still going, with a pounding headache to go with it....

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get rid or this or what may cause the blurring. Its always when Im at work, watching tv, or occasionally in the sun.

Thanks
|

replied August 24th, 2012
Replying to Karen85
Oh my god, I have exactly the same thing, although I'm 21 and I feel that there is a cyst on the back of my head (near the part of the brain which controls breath and heartbeat), to be exact its on the back and a little bit on the right side, I have this pounding pain sourcing from it which goes in a line of pain from this 'bump' to my right ear but a little bit further.. more like behind my right eye and its internal pain not close to the skin like pain inside my skull, I have some sort of phobia for these stuff, consider me as Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory... I tried squeezing the bump, it didn't pop or anything, its not directly under the skin, also, when the pain starts and I get blurry (right at this moment) I start wearing my glasses, this is the first time my vision gets blurred, I am really annoyed, I feel like its a brain tumor which strikes the eye nerve?.. I am currently remembering the scene were Dr.Dolittle removes the blood clot from the tigers brain, seriously I am freaked out.. I asked my cousin(PHd in Medicine) he says its nothing serious, I constantly asked for an CT Scan for my brain, he didn't accept, he says its nothing serious.. I hope he is right, even though hope can destroy you.

Kindly, please reply back if you found a solution for your problem since it's been 2 years since you made this post.

PS: I don't believe its caused from excessive staring at a monitor, I am a software developer and I'm spending more than 8 hours/day infront of the monitor, but this blurry vision started after 2 days I came from a resort in Turkey (I didn't look at TV Monitors, PC Monitors or anything electronic for more than 30 seconds on a daily basis while I was there and also while I came back I only checked my emails on my smartphone).

PSS: The blurry vision started when I ate dinner (The only new thing I ate was Jam, the rest was food I'm used to eat since I was born), also the flashing light annoyed my eyes when my dad called me on my smartphone... after that my left eye started getting blurry.

PSSS: I've been smoking for 6 years.

Thanks a lot if anyone cared to reply back to me on what they did to fix this annoying pain.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
I sometimes (not any time recent) have blurred vision in a single part of a single eye. Usually the right eye and its usually only the upper right hand corner of that eye but its impossible to see anything in that section (about half the eye). I sometimes feel a slight headache with them, but not always and it goes away after about 10-30 min. I was just thinking about it and maybe someone out there knew what it was.
|

replied June 19th, 2010
@karen85.
Their is no medical cure or treatment yet. but ive been on a quest to find out how to reduce the symptoms, once the 'glyph' has begun. as soon as you notice your vision is about to go tunnel vision (if youve had a glyph before you will no what its like when your vision starts to go. starts slightly then fully blown)lie down, preferably on a bed or sofa and in a dark/shaded place with little or no light with a glass of water and close your eye lids and even if your not tired lay there for about 30 minutes and usually your vision should go back to normal in about 40 minutes AND avoid the headache. I've also found, putting a damp flannel over your eyes when you lay down helps. <dex>
|

replied July 9th, 2010
I experienced something similar to this the other day. I was at my desk at work when a dot appeared in the right side of my vision. This got bigger and bigger, after a while I could not really read or see anything out of my right eye.

I went for a walk and a glass of water and gradually my vision was restored after around 25 minutes. Almost directly after my vision came back I was struck with the worst headache I've ever had. This lasted for a couple of hours and whilst the worst of it went away in this time, I still felt a dull pain for the next day or so.

I was pretty worried so I went to see my doctor. After I explained what had happened he told me that this was a classic case of migrane. The loss of vision for 20-30 mins followed by a pumping headache are telltail signs.

He said some people are born prone to them, but the don't develope until adulthood (I'm 24). There is no way to cure them, if you get them it's just bad luck, but there are a few foods that trigger them off that should be avoided. He said the main ones were red wine, blue veign cheese and MSG. Triggers differ between people. You need to work out what yours are. When he said this it all made sense as I'd had Chinese for lunch around 2 hours before my attack. MSG is obviously a trigger for me.

He said when you feel one coming on you can limit the pain with 3 disolvable asprin. no more, no less; 3. He said if you get in early enough you can avoid the worst of the headache.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers
|

replied November 4th, 2010
blurry vision followed by headache.
this has been happening to me for a while too. Dont eat things like fried egg butter or cheese...that help me...recently i go this headache after eating a whole lot of grapefruit(grapefruit is said to lower blood pressure if you eat too much) i hope this helped
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
Could be a food allergy, I have a friend allergic to the sweetners they use in diet foods- aspartame. Try limiting some foods and see if you can narrow it down. worth a shot.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Temporary blurred vision
I have this too. I am 26. It's only just started happening to me, the 3rd time was today but all three have been in the last few months. I start to have a blurry spot in my vision, both eyes but mostly the right eye is effected. All times have happened when I've been at work staring at my computer screen. I cannot see clearly at all and find that I have to stop what I'm doing and close my eyes for a few minutes at a time. The blurred vision then starts to widen until I can only see tunnel vision and then it goes completely and I can then see normally but during this time I feel like a head ache is coming so I immediately take some ibuprofen which usually stops it developing into anything painful. I haven't seen a doctor about it but I probably will to put my mind at rest. I've also made an eye appointment just in case.
|

replied December 14th, 2010
ILL
i'm 18 ive had the same for 4 year specially after i work out in and go in the sun. My solution was to smoke medical marijuana and it never happened any day i was high. when i feel that it's about to start i just smoke and it goes away..
WEED WAS AN AMAZING MEDICINE FOR MY CASE.
|
Quick Reply