Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Blood UA test ?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I have been recently diagnosed with gout, and I am trying to learn all I can on this disease.

The normal value of blood UA level is 3.4-8.9 mg/dl, and mine at its worse was 9.6 mg/dl.

How high is "high"? what do the people here have measured ? To me, high means over 12 maybe?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Experienced User
The only thing scientific about uric acid blood tests is the knowledge that the saturation concentration of uric acid in the blood is 6.0 mg/dl at normal body temperature and blood acidity. At concentrations above that level, the uric acid can precipitate out of solution to form the crystals that result in a gout attack.

Medical practice has dropped the ball on the measurement of serum uric acid, which is known to undergo great fluctuation in each individual. There has been no standardization of the conditions under which the blood sample was taken, such as how much time has elapsed since last eating, what was eaten, and how much time has elapsed since awakening.

In contrast, the measurement of blood sugar tries to account for the test conditions. As a result, it is a much more meaningful test than a serum uric acid test.
|

replied November 27th, 2009
thank you for the helpful explanations. Somehow most doctors I have seen just go by the lab numbers.

I have read you can have high UA but be completely asymptomatic (false positive). But all gout patient will have high UA. I am just wondering what is consider "high", like 2-4 mg higer, or 10-50mg higher, eg cholesterol/ glucose levels can go up 100 points or higher.

At least my rheumotologist confirmed my gout with joint fluid analysis.
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Experienced User
They go by the lab numbers because that's what they were trained to do. They are behaving like technicians that are highly trained, not scientists who question and think outside the box.

The joint fluid analysis is the definitive test for gout. It's good that your rheumatologist did it.

What your rheumatologist or primary care physician does not yet know is that you have a 50-50 chance of sleep apnea as the cause of your hyperuricemia and gout. If that is the case for you, then overcoming your sleep apnea will greatly reduce your risk for developing many life-threatening diseases, as well as curing your gout. Check it out with your doctor. You may have to be very persistent because he/she doesn't yet know about the connection.
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
Sleep Apnea, now that's a new direction that I have not taken. I use to have really poor sleep, but for the last 5 years I have been sleeping much better.

I'll have to ask my wife if she can detect me not breathing, I do snore a lot!

My latest UA test was a 5.1, but now my liver enzymes are up, and the MD is working with me on tapering my Uloric down.

I am so sick of this gout stuff!
|
Tags: blood test
Quick Reply