Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Blood pressure high in the morning

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
If I take my blood pressure right after I wake up, my blood pressure will be 140/90. Within 2 hours, it's back down to 120/72. If blood pressure fluctuates all day long, what is the problem of having a high blood pressure in the morning. Why should I have a very low blood pressure 100/68 all day long just to get my waking bp down to 124/78! This low blood pressure feels terrible!! I know the people with high morning blood pressure have an increased risk of stroke. I'm only taking 1/2 dose the doctor recommended Lisinopril/hctz 10-12.5mg and I get 100/68 bp. I'm 62
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Morning hypertension is very common in those with high blood pressure.
It is a part of normal day/night variations of all physiological body functions.
Acctually, after waking the sympathetic system is activated, and body is releasing hormones that can give you energy in the morning, and also increase blood pressure.
To avoid the morning hypertension, it is essential to maintain blood concentration of a drug at the critical early morning period with the use of long acting agents.
Drugs with adrenergic alpha-blocking actions are usually selected to control the morning hypertension.
Hypotension is a side effect of the drug (lisinopril in combination with hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, leads to more symptomatic hypotension).

Contact your physician to reconsider the combination of drug you use and the drug regimen.
|
Did you find this post helpful?