Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

blood on toilet seat

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi,

Yesterday I went to a bar. After some time I had to use the toilet. I went to the toilet and noticed a couple of red spots on the toilet seat. Maybe that was blood, I am not sure of that.

I sprayed some water on it and then used a peice of cloth to clean the seat. Then I sat on it. I'm now worried about this incident.

The thing that worries me is that I did not use any soap/disinfectant, I just poured some water on the red spots (I do not know if they were completely dry) and then used a piece of cloth to wipe it off. Is there a possibility of transmission in this scenario.

Thanks a lot for your replies.
rcmn
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2008
Experienced User
i doubt that you have a concern. however, i want to tell you that i NEVER sit on the toilet. i am a female incidentally. i do all sorts of things...prop up, lean, squat, etc...but i don't sit on the toilet.

on the rare occasion that i just HAVE TO SIT, i put down about 2,000 plies of toilet paper on the seat, put toilet paper in the toilet to keep backsplash down and finally i very reluctantly sit for a sec only to take care of what i HAVE to take care of. then i'm back off the seat and in the air again.

good luck! i think if you really contemplate this, you'll find about a million ways to avoid sitting on the seat in the future. God only knows how i made it through college! ha!
jasmine
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2008
Supporter
Unless you have a sore or open wound on your behind the chances of contracting a disease that way are very slim. The only other way I can think of catching something would be if you wiped the same area that touched the blood and then wiped a wound or your genitals. After seeing that you are a male I would definitely be more careful in the future. Some women are just slobs in the bathroom but no normal, healthy man should be leaving blood on the toilet seat unless he cut himself. Like Jazzy77 said, please don't ever sit on a toilet seat again without first cleaning it (with more than just water) or using some kind of barrier.
One other thing, if the blood was dry rather than wet, your chance of contracting HIV are less because the HIV virus does not survive long outside the human body.
I hope this information eases your mind.
|

replied December 21st, 2008
Hi Jasmine, deteragram

thanks a lot for the replies. Ya I know, I will definitely be more careful in the future.
But what should I do about this incident. Should I get tested for this ?

I do not remember having an open sore or wound on me, but there could always have been an occasional cut.
|

thanks again,
sorry to ask again but I forgot to mention there was a hot water outlet in the toilet and I used the hot water to wash the toilet seat. Does this have any effect? People say that HIV can survive in a moist environment.
|

sorry mis-typed again. I wanted to write "People say that HIV can survive in a moist , warm environment. "
|

also there was a small cut on one of my fingers. I do not remember whether it came into contact with something or not. I'm very much stressed.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
i think you need to relax. in reality, you're going to HAVE to relax, because getting tested probably isn't going to be effective for a few months anyway.

the more i contemplate this situation, the more i feel confident that you probably couldn't have contracted anything.

think about this situation in reverse...and imagine what would have had to happen for you to actually be EXPOSED to something.
1) a person would have had to enter the bathroom. chances are VERY HIGH because the bathrooom is used by probably 50 or more people a day.
2) out of that 50 ppl a day that use the bathroom, 50% of them would be women, so now we're down to 25.
3) a child-bearing aged woman has her period 25% of the time, so out of the 25 women that used the bathroom that day, 6.25 of them would have had their period (potentially).
4) out of that 6.25 women who had their period that day, what are odds that a careful woman could have let blood drip on the toilet? next to zero, but it happened...so there you have it (0.001% chance).
5) take that this 0.001% chance woman who has her period, and drips blood on the seat and tell me what is the likelyhood that this one woman has a disease like aids or herpes (all you'd have really been concerned with...right?). the probability of this one woman having a disease is probably 0.000001%.
6) the blood spot sits there a while, the temperature of it decreases to the room temp, there's a hostile environment on the toilet seat because it was wiped down with clorox 50X in the past month, and THEN you come along way later and first dilute it with water, you wipe it up and dispose of the paper product (takes your chances of contracting anything down to 0.0000000001%).

even if you took a bath in the blood of those 6.25 women, chances of contracting aids or something like herpes would probably be 0.00000000001% the reality is that chances of you contracting a disease, ANY DISEASE from this are almost insignificant. "could it happen?" of course the potential is there. is it even remotely likely, no....not even remotely.

relax.
jasmine
|