Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Blood in Stool after Gallbladder Removal

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile

I had my gallbladder removed on January 4, 2011. My gallbladder was fine, but the duct was so narrow nothing was passing through. The first week everything was fine. Then on Sunday I developed a low grade fever, insomnia, diareeha, pain at bottom of chest bone and extreme pain under right ribs. The diareeha stopped, but my stool then became bloody. Not the bright red in the bowl like hemmoroids, but the actual stool seemed to be formed from the blood. One time it was black and looked like charcoal, then it was a maroonish/brownish, like the last few days of the menstraul cycle. I went 3 whole days without being able to sleep. I finally went to the ER b/c I thought I had internal bleeding. They were so packed all they did was a chest x-ray. Will a simple chest x-ray show an internal bleed? I'm 2 weeks now post surgery and still running a low-grade fever, no appetite, very tired, can't seem to get warm and still not sleeping. Please Help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2011
Gallbladder Disease Answer A18656
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Diarrhoea and fever are common after Gall bladder surgery.But blood mixed with stool indicates either some intestinal problem,injury or infection.Usually dark blood suggests some lower intestine disorder.Also are you on any medications.Some medications like iron and Pepto bismol cause dark stools.
You should see your treating doctor immediately and should not ignore.It requires a proper examination and evaluation.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.