Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

blood in phlegm

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
It started off as a normal cold 3 days back when i took some medicine given by my doctor.Ok so the cold is good already.But i was also coughing up lots of phlegm but no sore throat.

Then today,i noticed that when i coughed,there was like blood in the phlegm,like 10% was blood. This has happened 3 times during the last 1 and a half hours.But i have been forcing to cough out the phlegm when the blood came the first time.But when i just spit saliva,there is no blood in it.Only with the phlegm does the blood come but not all the time.For example,there is blood once out of 7 times i cough out phlegm.

Could it be anything serious? I am a smoker too for 10 months now and i had smoked 45mins prior to coughing out the blood.The phlegm is thick yellow and i think there is a sound when i pant purposely to force the phlegm out.Pls advice.Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile worriedauzzi
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2008
Experienced User
Firstly you shouldn't be smoking whilst you have a chest infection or cold. With colds sometimes if you cough a lot it can cause you to cough up minute amounts of blood, basically caused by too much coughing. If however you are coughing up dark blood or lots of it it would be something to worry about it. If its just pinkish bright blood mixed in with the phlegm then its most likely just caused by excess coughing also smoking dries out your throat even more. Since you had a cigerette prior to coughing up blood it seems likely that its nothing to worry about. If this persists or gets any worse I would expect you would see a doctor. You should drink a glass of milk, that helps to coat the throat so it isn't so raw from coughing. You have only been smoking for 10months? Why did you start in the first place? Lung cancer is a reality and smoking whilst sick with chest irritation is not a wise idea.
|

thanks for the reply.ive tried to quit 3 times but ive failed all the time.Well the first time the blood came it was bright red,2nd time it was slightly darker,dark red and third time it was normal red.

What are the symptoms that suggest something is seriously wrong?
|

oh yeah forgot to add,after that it took cough mixture and 2 anti biotics given by the doc ( the blood thing occured after visiting him ) and since then the phlegm has not been thick yellow but greyish watery kind and no blood since then.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
If its no longer thick yellow that means the infection is leaving, greyish white? Sounds like its clearing and your lungs are just removing the remaining phleghm. Yes for the first time it being bright red thats because the laceration had only just happened, the second time you say it was slightly darker, I assume its because your throat was healing the wound and you coughed up the remaining blood which had by that point lost oxygen and darkened in colour, and then for it to be bright again because you hurt your throat once more. That is good that its clearing up. Giving up is something you have to really set your mind to and think to yourself do you want to contribute to your death? Lung cancer is the worst kind, maybe look up the affects of it. See ya!
|

yeah i have been trying to quit and i am sure i can do it cos there are days when i dont smoke for 3-4 days.The urge usually comes all of a sudden and after smoking 1 stick,i am left with 19 other sticks but no urge,very complicated.

I also forgot to mention that the blood came up when i tried to force out the phlegm by breathing in hard that made the wheezing kinda noise and causing the phlegm to come up.Cos after that,there has been no more blood though there has been cough and i never tried to force it out again.That a good sign?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2008
Experienced User
It honestly depends how long it lasts, if after your cold this is still happening then it would be wise to get a chest xray. It sounds like your throat is just having a rough time at the moment. Well take this as your chance to quit then.
|

replied September 1st, 2008
yeah i feel the same too,today morning,i coughed out a big disgusting thick yellow phlegm that was srsly unusually big ( sorry for the details ) and that contained no blood and today seemed to go by good,except now that when i cough my throat hurts,like a sharp pain.

What are the signs to indicate smth serious?
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
The pain is due to the damage caused by all the coughing. Signs of something serious ...Severe pain in the chest, difficulty breathing coughing up a fair amount of blood with every cough. It's just a cold, you are straining your throat with the irritation. How long have you had it for? Some colds can last weeks it all depends on how strong your immune system is, the fact that your smoking whilst sick is drawing your sickness out longer. Generally if you are this sick for longer than 7 consecutive days I would go check in with the doctor to make sure that the anti biotics are working ... If you are not on anti biotics and remain sick for a lengthy time then see about getting on some. Bottom line stop smoking at least until you get over your cold.
|

replied September 2nd, 2008
yeah i am trying my level best to quit smoking,like for now,i went out with cash only enough for cash and didnt carry any cards as well,haha thats a starter.I honestly wanna stop but sometimes all cos of 1 stick it comes back again.My wheezing is slightly better now and no blood too.
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2008
Experienced User
Good start!
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
Hello there!

I also have a very similar case with eggprata. Just last last Tuesday ,I had a flu - I got fever, cough and colds. I was just trying to suppress the fever by taking up paracetamol. I cough out thick greenish phlegm but that didn't worry me lot since I'm used to that whenever I catch colds. It was just last Monday (this week)that I had the chance to see a doctor. He prescribed me drugs namely Ciprofloxacin (1 a day),Erdosteine (Ectrin) (2x a day) and No-drowse Neozep. I started taking these medicines the day after and now, when I took a bath while clearing up my phlegm-clogged nose, I was really shocked when the phlegm looks already thick bloody red. Until now my phlegm is still stained with blood but my saliva is okay. I am really struck with fear with this. It's my first time having blood that much in my phlegm. I am planning to see my doctor again next week since he's still out of town. But for the time being, please let me know why did it come up like this. I'm really worried. I'm already starting to think like I'm having a very serious respiratory track infection like TB. Please help... Thanks..

James

FYI I do not smoke cigarettes.
|

replied October 15th, 2011
same problem im facing too .. go and try chest x ray
|

replied November 29th, 2011
What's the reason of coughing with blood?
HELLO good morning!
I am really worried right now, every time i cough there's a small amount of blood in my phlegm-reddish in color. This happens especially if i force to pant-out my phlegm over my throat. I am very worried since last month i was diagnosed with acquired pneumonia. Just a slight history, i am teacher now and i always have sore throat-sometimes my voice is vanishing. Could it be that the cause of my coughing with blood is my sore throat? How about my acquired pneumonia...(however i was given medicines for this) and its fine...)....current problem are....always having sore throat and coughing with blood.
Please i need your advice....Thank you very much! God Bless!
|

replied December 20th, 2011
blood with phlegm what could be it
I don't have cough, but dark blood comes out with phlegm. No Idea what is wrong. But I don't get every time when phlegm comes out, but comes out daily thrice or four times.
|

replied December 30th, 2011
hi! i am 1 a 10 year old boy who has the same problem as eggprata. i was in the bathroom when i coughed up phlegm cuz i have second hand smoke from my dad. the phlegm was very red. it was 99% red and 1% yellow. can someone help me? my stomach also hurts. i didnt eat anything. it is morning right now. for dinner yesterday, i ate 2 or 3 clemintines and 3 pieces of sushi. what caused my red phlegm?
|

replied February 10th, 2013
Blood in cought
I having cought since 13 days. I took many different kind of medicine...
like firt 4 days....Nimuslide / Azee500/Grintles
After for 5 days....Glavo500/Grintels/
For last 5 days.....Clair500/adrin tab
Now 5 days before i get some light pink blood in my cought for 2 times...
And today i got again same 3 time in my cought
What you advise
what will be resaon
Still i am too much coughing mostely night time.
my sickess not gone.
Which deparment of docotor i should go
please advise soon
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2013
Hello,
Guys I am having exact same problem since morning.. Is every one alive yet.?
I am feeling pathetic... Plz respond ASAP..!!!
|
Quick Reply