Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Blood, hemoglobin and muscle in urine ?

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
Im a 17 yr old girl with severe back pain when i urinate. It happens around 3 times a week and my lower right side of my back hurts. These episodes are severe when they happen where I hold on to the bath tube and scream in my mind. The pain is always on my right side. Sometimes I can feel the pain coming along right before i urinate or sometimes the pain comes on all the sudden. I went to the doctor who didnt know what this could be. I got a urine sample that came back normal no UTI. I then caught it when I had the pain. I put it into the fridge till the next morning when I could bring it to the lab. The next morning you could see streaks of blood in it with while mucus looking stuff in it. It looks like muscle off a piece of meat. My urine is rusty color and when I get this pain I only urinate a little. So i brought it to the lab and the results came back as traces of blood being in my urine, hemoglobin, red blood cell count being zero and muscle in it. This is what my mom told me so im not possible. She said the doctor was worried and kept asking if i excercized at all. which i didnt. Im going to Boston Childrens Hospital in two weeks because the doctor is worried. Its like two hrs away from where i live so im guessing there might be something more serious wrong. Im going to see a urologist. I do have a right kidney thats 9.0 cm and my left is 10.8. So my right is alot smaller and thats where the pain is. My backround health information is I have a butterfly vertebre, aortic stenosis, a cyst under my belly button which I had surgery to remove a few months ago and my appendix was removed. Im not sure if any of these could be connected. What do you think is wrong? Could this be something severe? What does my doctor mean about muscle and my red cell count being zero in my urine? I cant find anything on the internet! Help Me!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Doctor
Blood in the urine could be result or infection of bleeding somewhere in the urinary tract.

Hemoglobin is a protein found in the erithrocytes. There should not be hemoglobin in the urine (hemoglobinouria). Hemoglobinuria could be a laboratory sign of some kidney disorder (acute nephritis, pyelonephritis, kidney cancer...) or a type of hemolytic anemia.

There can't be muscles present in the urine. But myoglobine, a protein present in the muscle cells, can be found in the urine in cases of muscle destruction.

You should consult a nephrologist and urologist about your condition.
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Yes I am going to see a urologist in Boston. My doctor seems real worried but I guess I will have to wait and see. My mom told me what she remembered from what the doctor told her and said there is some sort of muscle in the urine but myoglobine seems more accurate. Thank you for this information
|