Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Blood and mucus in stool and low Vitamin D

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi,

Over the past 4 months I have noticed a lot of blood INSIDE my stool, on the tissue and also clear jelly like mucus. This happens about 5 times a week. I tend to get a slight pain in my lower abdominal area here and there. I went to the doctors recently and had some blood test done, my results came back with low Vitamin D. Does this sound right or should I be concerned? Not sure what to do??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2017
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your symptoms indicate that, you may be having hemorrhoids, due to chronic constipation.

Symptoms that could indicate to possibility of hemorrhoids include: Anal itching, Anal ache or ‎pain, especially while sitting, Bright red blood on toilet tissue, stool, or in the toilet bowl, Painful ‎bowel movements and One or more hard tender lumps near the anus.

Hemorrhoids may be inside or outside the body.‎ Internal hemorrhoids occur just inside the anus, at the beginning of the rectum.‎ External hemorrhoids occur at the anal opening and may hang outside the anus.‎

In your case, you seem to have a external hemorrhoid, which is the cause of your symptoms.

For the mean time, you can use Over the counter creams like Preparation H, which will help in reducing the pain and swelling. Other measures like stool softners and laxatives can also be used to reduce the pain during bowel movements.

Sitz baths can also help to feel better. Sit in warm water for 10 - 15 minutes.

If your hemorrhoids do not get better with home treatments, you may need coagulation heat therapy, to shrink the hemorrhoids.

In case that is not helpful, surgical options like band ligation or surgical hemorrhoidectomy can be therapeutic.

You may consult with your doctor who can examine you, and treat you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.