Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Bloating, Nausea, Burping, Diarrhea, Sweats, Stomach Gurgling

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I have been having stomach issues for 5 years now and there has not been a treatment that worked. I have tried every diet and medicine. I was told I had Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome (MALS) and had abdominal surgery to release the ligament from my Celiac Artery. It has been 2 months since then and I still have the symptoms. A CT scan was done recently and it showed that there is narrowing in my Celiac Artery. A few Vascular Surgeons told me to wait and see if the artery opens up after more time passes. I can't wait much longer because I can barley eat due to the symptoms. I can have an Angioplasty done to stretch out the artery but I don't know if a narrowed artery causes such awful digestion. If anyone has any information or opinions please feel free to answer.

As soon as I take a bite of food I get bloated then nausea comes 10 minutes after, the burping immediately, diarrhea 5 minutes after I eat, and gurgling for the rest of the day.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2013
Welcome to e health forum.

MALS or medial arcuate ligament syndrome is a condition due to abnormal positioning of a anatomic structure, associated with the Coliac artery. This artery provides blood to many gastrointestinal structures including the stomach, liver, pancreas and upper intestines.

Hence any decrease in blood supply, due to compression of this artery can affect all the above organs resulting in abdominal pain, gastrointestinal distress and other symptoms. Long term patients can have weight loss, anorexia along with chronic abdominal pain. The abdominal pain may be associated with eating, but not always

The condition is typically seen in young patients (20 – 40 years of age) and is more common in thin women.

In your case, since you have already undergone coliac artery decompression (release of the ligament) procedure, the persistant narrowing in the artery can be corrected by percutaneous transluminal angioplasty, which will place a stent in the narrowed part of the artery, and hence normalize blood flow thus relieving your symptoms.

Hence angioplasty can definitely be recommended if you have severe and intolerable symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.