Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Bloating , gas , loose stool

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
User Profile
I have been suffering from these symptoms for quite a while now.
I have a constant feeling of fullness in my lower abdomen, bloating, gas, loose stool usually twice a day. I never have what I remebmer as "normal" stool. It's usually not formed at all. When I have an urge to go, I had better be near a toilet. It's usually "explosive" (sorry to be so gross). No matter how many times I go, I still have a full feeling in the lower abdomen, usually accompanied by a dull ache in my lower back. I have occasional bleeding from the rectum, which I think may be hemmorhoids. This has been going on for a couple of years, first I thought maybe it was the Pepcid, Prevacid etc that I was taking for my GERD. So I started eating better and juicing and got off of the meds. I haven't taken anything for over a year. It didn't clear up, so then I thought maybe it was dairy products. So I got off of dairy. That didn't help. Have done a Chinese Herbal Colon Cleanse - didn't help. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A6093
Your symptoms may be the result of either food sensitivity (although lactose intolerance, which is one of the most common types of food sensitivity disorders, seems unlikely in your case, as you've already eliminated dairy products) or irritable bowel syndrome. However, it is, of course, impossible to render a specific diagnosis over the Internet.

I would advise that you see a good gastroenterologist for a complete GI work-up, and to rule-out the less-likely possibility of any serious illnesses.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.