Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

bleeding 8 weeks postpartum

I'm 8 weeks PP, EBF therefore not using contraceptives with my husband. Spotted pinkish and brownish for two days last week, and have been extremely tired and emotional lately. Is it because of the previous pregnancy or am I possibly pregnant again??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Lorilye,

According to the website EcoBites, the chances of getting pregnant while EBF are listed as the following:

"Ecological Breastfeeding is the world's oldest form of family planning because by providing the baby nourishment and nurturing according to the standards of Ecological Breastfeeding, a mother will almost always experience an extended time of infertility following childbirth.

Chance of Pregnancy

The First 6 Months: The first 8 weeks postpartum for the exclusively breastfeeding mother are so infertile that in 1988 scientists agreed that any vaginal bleeding during the first 56 days postpartum can be ignored for determining amenorrhea or fertility for the exclusively breastfeeding mother. This rule would also apply to the EBF mother.

During the first 3 months postpartum, the chance of pregnancy occurring
is practically nil if the EBF mother remains in amenorrhea.

During the next 3 months postpartum, there is only a 1% chance of
pregnancy if the EBF mother continues to remain in amenorrhea.

After 6 Months: For the nursing mother there is about a 6% chance of pregnancy occurring prior to the first menstruation. This assumes no fertility awareness and unrestricted intercourse. This risk can be reduced to close to 1% through the techniques of systematic natural family planning — observing the signs of fertility and abstaining accordingly.

About 70% of EBF mothers experience their first menstruation between 9 and 20 months postpartum. The average return of menstruation for EBF mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

So, according to that website, as long as you have been strict, and stuck to the EBF guidelines, then spotting in the first 8 weeks can be ignored. So, the chances of you being pregnant are most likely almost nil.

Being tired and emotional is very common, and almost considered normal, in the post partum mom. A tiny baby is a lot of work, for its size. You may need to look at your life and situation, to determine if you may need some help with the baby. You are doing a lot, if you are breastfeeding on demand, not supplementing with bottles. You cannot easily get away for a break.

You may need a day out on the town, or some serious help around the house and with the baby. It is not a sign of weakness or of being a bad mother to ask for help. In days gone by, people lived in extended families, so new mothers always had help from the aunts and grandmamas. In today's society, many new mothers are isolated, and have to go it on their own. Big responsibility and a lot of work.

So, take a good look at your life. Get help if you need it. Make a little time for yourself. However, if this does not solve the problem, then you may want to speak with your physician.

Good luck.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Thanks for responding. My other question though, is now I'm having the same "symptoms" as with both my first two children. I never had normal symptoms, like morning sickness or anything. With both of my first two kids, before I even missed a period, I started getting EXTRA clumsy, dizzy, and have frequent headaches. Those were my only 3 signals before the missed period, then of course when it was late I tested and was. Lately I've been having all of these 3 symptoms again, but I don't know if that's due to having a new baby and just being overly tired or if it means we have another one on the way. I haven't had a period yet, so nothing to miss, and although I'm EBF, my son has been eating so much lately, that even AFTER he nurses he's still hungry and will have to have a bottle that I've pumped. (This happened when my first son was about 10 weeks also, my first son started baby cereal at about 11 or 12 weeks) so I'm thinking this LO will have to as well, but I just don't know what to think about the dizzy spells and headaches and clumsiness lately. I'd like to believe it's over exhaustion, but I'm beginning to think it's more than that.....
|