Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Bleeding painful lump above anus

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have a lump above my anus. It is VERY painful and bleeds quite a lot. I have had the lump for about 1 week, the bleeding anf pain has been for 2 days.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 31st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Are you talking about inside your anus or above it?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
If the lump is located under the skin over the tailbone, just above the cleft of the buttocks, and was associated with very excruciating pain, redness, swelling, chills, before it started to bleed, it could be a pilonidal cyst that got infected.
If the lump is located above the anus, near the anal opening could be anal abscess, but if the lump is located at the anal opening itself and is associated with chronic constipation or straining, it could be external hemorrhoids.
|

It is near the tailbone. I did not have chills before the bleeding but did have the pain, redness and swelling. If it is a pilonidal cyst, will it clear by itself or do i have to see a doctor
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Bleeding pilonidal cyst is an indication to see your physician.
Usually, the cyst should drain to improve, but, the wound should be evaluated in order to clean it completely from pus, skin debris and hair.
The wound should be covered and washed every day to heal properly.
Your physician will check for possible complication like spreading infection and need for antibiotic treatment.
There are surgical techniques for treating pilonidal cyst, but, the cyst tend to reoccur.

See your physician or abdominal surgeon specialized in treating this cyst (abscess).

Best wishes!
Marija
|