Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

bleeding 1 month after abortion (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I had a medical abortion on February 9. I was about 6 weeks pregnant at the time. I did my follow up and was told everything had worked properly and that there were some blood clots that still needed to be passed.

It is now almost one month later and I am still bleeding. Last week I had what I thought was a period, which then trickled to spotting and then stopped. Two days later, on Saturday, I had sex with my fiance for the first time after the abortion and I began to bleed heavily.

I am now discharging dark tissue (not blood) and I am a little concerned.
I am 28 years old and physically fit in good health. I do suffer from low blood pressure and I was told that I was borderline anemic when I went in for the abortion. I am not sure if either of those play a role.

I would like to know if this is normal or something more serious.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper emily123456
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I'm really not sure, but when dealing with something like this I really think you should contact your doctor and check up to make sure.

I'll copy this to the abortion forum to see if someone else can help...
|

replied March 5th, 2012
hello
I had my abortion 3 months ago, i was bleeding for a month. then now im worried cuz i havent got my period for two months now.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
hello
I had my abortion 3 months ago, i was bleeding for a month. then now im worried cuz i havent got my period for two months now.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
hello
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
That could likely be a period, and it is VERY normal to have clots in your period after a medical abortion.

But...
MEDICAL abortion causes more bleeding than surgical, we tell women to expect 9-23 days of bleeding..
|

replied April 25th, 2009
i'm the same
i had an abortion about 8 weeks ago and i'm still bleeding. Although it is more spotting or discharge now i keep thinking its stopping and then it gets heavier again. i don't know what to do
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
Experienced User
Re: i'm the same
davidson123 wrote:
i had an abortion about 8 weeks ago and i'm still bleeding. Although it is more spotting or discharge now i keep thinking its stopping and then it gets heavier again. i don't know what to do

Hmmmm. If I remember correctly, the doctor at the clinic told me that a woman can bleed for up to 3 weeks after an abortion. I only bled for about 5 days after mine, and it was VERY light. If it stopped and then started again, it could also be your next period.

Did you go for your post abortion check-up after 2 weeks to make sure everything was okay? 8 weeks seems a little long to me to still be bleeding. I got my period after about 6-7 weeks. It may be time to make a doctor's appointment to make sure everything is okay. Good luck with everything.
|

replied May 27th, 2009
I'm still bleeding
I'm still bleeding after TEN weeks! The doc did all the tests - no infection, no products of conception left inside me, hormones seem normal. But people seem to think it takes a while for hormones to go back to normal or regular cycles. One doc said I could go on the pill for a few months to regulate my cycle. Then when I get off it should be ok. Anyone else have advice or stories where this actually worked???
|

replied June 21st, 2009
yeah I would definitely go on the pill to regulate your period. I have pcos and had extremely irregular periods it would skip a month and come on and stay on for two months until i went to a doctor and got on the right birth control.
|

replied September 6th, 2009
Bleeding 1 month after medical termination.
Hi,

I had a medical termination 4 and a half weeks ago. I bled quite heavily for the first week then it seemed to calm down and became more like spotting like at the end of a period. However, every now and then I get a gush of quite fresh blood which then turns to a brownish spotting and then I will have nothing for a few days an then I will get another gush.

Do you think this is ok? I'm not in any pain or anything.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
hi, are you ok now? im having this bleeding, exactly the same...what did you do? now im bleeding heavily, but no pain...
|

replied September 7th, 2009
Yes, your urterus may still have blood in it. i was told i could expect weird bleeding for up to two months with medical abortion by my doctor, and i did. it would come and go and then i bleed very lightly for about 7 weeks Sad
|

replied October 1st, 2009
Hey girls. I had the same thing! Bleeding for 8 weeks. I stopped for like a day one or twice, the started again. It ranged from brown, to clotty, to heavy, to spotty. Now it finally stopped, but now I am waiting for a period, it has been a month. I was told "oh its your period"...honestly, I have NEVER heard of an 8 week period, please!

Going on the pill after my Medical abortion possibly caused more bleeding (according to PP), something called "breakthrough bleeding", although I doubt this was the case. I guess some people have lengthy bleeding? It it frustrating trying to get a damn answer.
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
im still bleeding too.. should i be concerned
wats da difference between a medical && surgical abortion b/c i had a surgical but have the same symptom as yu but i went to my two week checkup den went again last wednesday which made it 5 weeks of bleeding but both times da doctors said everything look to be fine but this wed. will make 6 weeks.. im just gettin frustrated b/c i feel like they not dot really doin what they are supposed to to make sure im fine. Both time the docter just felt around my stomach & stuck her finger in me. I mean if there was sum retained tissue is that honestly all they have to do to make sure or are they jus being lazy. I thought this b/c the hospital i went to get alot of clients b/c they do it pretty cheap. only $75. When i called to have it done i literally was on hold for a hour & 15 min so i kno they do alot & probably try not to deal wit post abortion issues.
|

replied December 17th, 2009
Bleeding 6 weeks after Medical
Ok, I had a medical about 6 1/2 weeks ago. I stopped bleeding for about a week and half, which I was thankful for but now I am bleeding again. Bright red blood. No physical pain, I feel totally normal. I just spoke with my doctor and she said it is fine but I should come in for a check up. I went to my follow up two weeks after I took it, and there was no infection. I went back on bc two days after I took the medical so that hasnt stopped my bleeding whatesoever. All I know is that it is very comforting that there are other women in this same position. I think we are all going to be ok. Smile I also spoke with my girlfriend who did this, and she said she bled for two months and then it stopped.
|

replied December 27th, 2009
4 to 5 weeks of bleeding and hospital for the night :(
I had a medical about 4 weeks ago, never really stoped bleeding.
Then last week i had very heavy bleeding with large clots, I went to clinic didn't seem to worried and sent me home and told me come next week. I stoped for a day and then on boxing day i had the heaviest bleeding i have ever had with about 20 to 25 clots from the size of a pea to the size of tennis ball i fainted after that much blood loss as when i stood up i filled a clean pad with in seconds. thats when my partner rushed me to AnE i was feeling very unwell and looking very pail. i spent the night in hospital on a drip and am on antibiotics and iron tablets. hopefully my bleeding has stopped again now but if it comes back i will have to have a d&c. The thing is i dont really think they no what up with me as they scanned me it looks ok, but maybe that was my bodys way of fushing out an infection i dont really no. they dont explain enough and i think this is the problem no one is givin enough information on this. iv been on a lot of site now with all us goin though the same thing but not one of us seem to have any real answers.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
heavy bleeding 3 weeks after taking the abortion pill
I took the abortion pill 1 day less than 3 weeks ago, and I'm stil bleeding also. I haven't been back to the doctor yet, I go on Thursday, I know you're supposed to go back after 2 weeks, but I had to work and couldn't get out of it. So my bleeding slowed down a LOT, some nights there is no blood at all, but last night I started cramping, not really badly, but enough, so I used a tampon before bed, and this morning I woke up this morning feeling like I wet the bed. My underwear was soaked, my pajama pants, and the sheet. I have something under the sheet but the blood did not go through to the mattress. It looked like more blood than it really was, but there was also a lot of clotting when I sttod up I felt it, and I freaked out and called planned parenthood. They told me to come in Thursday morning, and if I continue to bleed that heavily, go to the E.R. I also called my old ob-gyn and have yet to get in touch with him. Either way, I don't have insurance anymore, so that's why I'm trying to go to planned parenthood. But snice this morning, I have had a very light flow, with a little bit of tissue. I don't know if this is normal but I'm scared, that's why I was looking this up and I am very relieved to know that I'm not the only person who bled for this long. I was hoping the heaviness of last night was just to clean out whatever was left in there. If anyone can tell me if they had a similar experience, please let me know, but for the person who asked the question in the first place, I think it's a lot more normal than u think.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
I had a medical abortion 2 weeks ago
Hello, I had a medical abortion on the 4th jan 2010 in London.
I'm still bleeding, I didn't even bleed till 3 days after the procedure which then died down but this Saturday and Sunday, I've become a lot heavier, I called the aftercare hotline of the centre in London and they said it wAs normal but I wasn't convinced. But after Reading this I feel a lot more at ease as I'm not the only one like this. They don't mention the aftermath when you decide to do this. I've had the worse cramps, I even had a fever, shivers and at one point became so dizzy I was delirious. I didn't even want to do it. Now I'm paying the price. I'm sure we'll all be ok in time. It's our bodies getting rid of the hormone and our uterus' getting back to normal size. I'm so glad I found this forum. Doesn't make me feel so alone. xxx
|

replied July 9th, 2011
hi . i had a termination in london 3 weeks ago.im still bleeding and now have clots which was not nice as it just reminded me what i have done , because the same as you i did not want to do it.I rushed into it and was told all be over in 2 minutes life back to normal.yea right didnt tell me how i would feel once i had done it.have never felt so sad in my life.I cant tell anyone in my family.its something i would never advise anyone to do and i can not believe how so many women do it.i think perhaps once i stop bleeding i will be able to pull myself together! just want to know when it stops for most people??
|

replied February 4th, 2010
During this stage of the medical abortion, the bleeding is usually much heavier than during the initial stage and you will also typically experience cramps and significant clotting.

Always follow the exact instructions given by your particular health care provider and the manufacturer of your specific brand of abortion pills.
|

replied February 11th, 2010
wow im so glad i found this page! i got a medical abortion on 1/8/10. i didnt really start bleeding until about 3 days later. its now been about a month and a half and i am having dark brown discharge pretty much everyday. kind of stupid, but i didnt make a follow up appt. 2 weeks later because at that point i was sooo done with doc. appts. but i do feel fine. but im glad to see that im not the only one with these questions. thnks ladies!
|

replied February 17th, 2010
response to Girlie1983
I'm sure you have it figured out by now, as it is a month later, but I wanted to tell you about my personal experience...A little over a week after my medical abortion I had INTENSE cramping, worse than after I took the misoprostol pills, with only spotting, which was normal, as I had been only spotting after 24 hours had passed since taking the misoprostol. (is this making sense?) I wondered if I was cramping because there was a clot trying to find its way out. About a week later, I began to bleed, not spot. I thought maybe it was my period. But about 2 days later, I was in the shower, and a clot came out. about half the length of a magic marker, same thickness. I examined it like crazy. It had a slightly foul odor, but just looked like clotted blood. I went back to the clinic yesterday for my follow up, where I found out I'm not pregnant. I was told I'll spot for at least 3 weeks. I've been taking birth control since taking the misoprostol to 'regulate' my hormones, though I don't know if this actually works. I'm skeptical about the efficacy of birth control. Some advice: raspberry leaf and shepard's purse as a tea reeeeally help to reduce bleeding. I highly recommend it. You can get raspberry leaf easily, already in boxed teas, at a place like Whole Foods. Shepards purse is harder to find, but if you have a local ethnic grocery, or health food store, they might be able to help you. Also, blue and black cohosh tincture help to reduce bleeding.

One more thing: spotting, from what I've learned, is completely normal...where you only need to use a light pad, once or twice a day. Bleeding like you are having your period is not necessarily normal. I would check with a doctor or a clinic if you think you are bleeding. Spotting is definitely a pain in the ass, but someday, it will be over. Smile
|

replied March 4th, 2010
My experience fstarting from 01/26/2010
Ok so let me share my story with yall...

I had my medical abortion on Jan 26th. I had severe cramping at home when the tissue was coming out of me for about 2-3 hours! Worst pain ever! Bleeding was moderate throught the week after that. the following week (02/02) I went in for my follow up and they gave me an ultrasound, they said i still had some significant amount of blood clots and fluid in there but I wasn't prego anymore. They gave me 3 options, i could a) take the 4 pills again b) so aspiration or c) i could wait. I opted to wait and they asked me to come back the following week on 02/09 for another checkup. during that week before my 2nd check up (3rd visit to clinic) the blood flow was getting less and less. druing which time my bf and I decided to have sex. As soon as we started having sex I started bleeding very heavily and was concerned so we stopped. After that time, the bleeding stayed heavy and didn't lessen until a few days later. By the time i went in for that 2nd follow up (02/09) the nurse gave me another ultra sound, told me again i wasnt pregnant and that there was a tiny bit of tissue and clots that i'd pass. She even showed me a pic of the ultrasound, compared it to the one before and i noticed there wasn't much compared to the previous visit. My bf and i had sex once more and again the heavy bleeding during sex happened, we figured it might be the "clots" and "fluid" the nurse mentioned would pass. That night we ended up having an accident with the condom and I had to take a morning after pill the clinic had given me for emergencies like this. this was 02/10 when i took it and the bleeding stayed heavy and got even heavier as the days went by. clotting also started to appear more and more and the clots grew gradually to the size of a dried prune or so. 2 weeks passed when i decided to go back in because this wasn't normal, aside from my concern for the bleeding i was also feeling light headed more and more on certain days. I called clinic and they told me it might be my period, to which i replied periods don't last more than a week and i had been bleeding like that for almost 2 weeks. I was finally given another appointment on 02/22 and that day they just gave me a pap smear, tested me for anemia and other STDs, they didnt even give me a n ultrasound and told me to go home and wait since this could be my period and that if it didnt stop, it was because i wasn't on any birth control to control the bleeding. 03/02 was my next appointment, still bleeding, bigger clots, so when the nurse mentioned putting me on birth control i started talkign and asking a lot of questions which led to her really taking a look at my previous pics and giving me an ultrasound. when they took the ultrasound she mentioned i had pockets of "junk" that were probably hidden the previous times and said she didnt like what she was seeing so they scheduled me for an aspiration method the following morning. That same day they took my level of iron and realized i had become anemic from the blood loss. from 12.7 my level had dropped to 11.2.
The following day 03/03 I had the aspiration done and before that my iron level was checked again and i was at 10.1 now. I ws given iron pills the previous day which i have started taking today 03/04. i have light pinkish/redish smears on my light pads now and i feel fine. still a little light headed and weak from the anemia im sure. I hope you guys get checked if you are still bleeding and you have agut feelign somethign aint right, cuz thats how i felt. luckily i listened to my gut and a coworker who had a friend that happens to work at an abortion clinic. She told me not to take the pills to "control my bleeding" as it was not good. She said to instead gt aspiration, which is what i Did yesterday. So far so good, no more heavy bleeding for now. I 'll have to wait and see what happens next. I only bled for about 5 weeks after the medical abortion and never stopped and that was enough to make me concerned. i have read other women on here have been bleeding longer, please go get checked! better safe than sorry. some women have problems later on and can not have kids later on, so please get checked on time.
|

replied March 16th, 2010
ive been bleeding for 12 weeks now, thats 3 months now. its mostly brownish blood that i get or sometimes i get a gush of fresh red blood, its not painful at all. But i dnt know whats wrong with me. i get really tiny clots now, i dnt know if i have had my periods. im tottaly clueless just takin it a day @a time.
|

replied August 28th, 2013
Hi, What has happened since you posted this message? I'm in exactly the same position as you and really really scared. Thanks
|

replied March 16th, 2010
Hi,

My origianl post was titled "My experience fstarting from 01/26/2010"

I wanted to update my ststus with you gals...

I stopped bleeding the 3rd or 4th day after the suction process and Although tomorrow will be 2 weeks, my bf and i decided to have sex this morning and we did. So far so good! I didn't bleed and nothing hurts. I have not been bleeding now for a while and it feels like such a relief! I am still taking my iron pills to help with the anemia but even that seems to be getting better. I no longer feel as weak or light headed. Please get a second opinion if you think you should, don't let this pass by as something of unimportance. take care gals.
|