Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Bleeding after rough sex

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I ended my period on friday, and on sunday my husband and I had kind of rough sex. A few hours later I started bleeding a little, and then it turned into like a mini period. It was red, then dark brown, and now medium brown colored. It doesn't smell odd, and there isnt a lot of it, just a toilet paper wipe full when I go to the bathroom.
I did have precancerous cells removed from my cervix 6 years ago and my doctor said I may have light bleeding after sex, but this is the first time I've had period looking bleeding after sex. My doctor said that the chance of me getting pre-can cells again are slim to none since my cervix tissue didn't grow back normal (no outer skin layer).
My vagina is sore, but I'm not sure if its from sex or what. The soreness is more outer, but the bleeding kind of makes me worry if the soreness is from sex. I'm fine other than that. I was constipated on saturday pretty bad, and now everytime I have a bowel movement I do bleed a little more, or even if I pass gas I bleed a little more. And yes, Im sure Im bleeding from my vagina and not from anywhere else down there.
Sex was a little rough, and didn't hurt until he pegged my cervix wrong.
So what could be the problem? Oh, I've also had a few cysts on my ovaries in the past, not sure if you need to know that too.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied September 14th, 2011
Community Volunteer
There are three sources for bleeding, your vagina, your cervix and your uterus.

Sex will normally cause the smallest of micro tears in your vagina. These are too small to notice but can be seen in a forensic examination. Rough sex can cause these lacerations to be bigger and bleed a bit (or a lot), Rough thrusting can also cause tears and bruising in the very soft structures between your vaginal entrance and anus (perineum). These types of injuries should stop bleeding soon after. Getting dry (friction) and him thrusting at an angle (stretching the vaginal opening tissues or thrusting into a vaginal wall) are known to cause these tears

Your cervix can bruise and bleed when bumped hard. Once again it should not bleed for long periods of time.

When your period finish, some menstrual debris stays behind in your uterus. Sex in the day or two after your period ended can cause this to come out, maybe even start a light period again. This is due to the movement of your uterus inside your body cavity when you are aroused, as well as the orgasmic contractions through the uterus wall. These very pleasurable contractions are the same type of contractions that you experience as cramps during your period. Its goal is to break up the uterus lining and expel it. The fact that the blood was dark/brown indicates that it was somewhat older blood.

One of the mysterious processes during arousal is that your pain threshold increase dramatically, while your genitals still stay sensitive to the lightest of touches. So it is very possible that rough sex can be extremely pleasurable while it is injuring you, without you noticing.

The forth option is that there is a medical condition that your doctor needs to look at. If it does not stop bleeding, or it is very heavy, or it happens every time you are sexually active, speak to your doctor.

By the sounds of it, you can have more than one of these injuries bleeding. Did you take a mirror and looked at what you can see?

Take care!
|

User Profile
Thank you so much, you have eased my mind. I haven't looked yet with a mirror, but will. The bleeding is really light today (both in amount and color), so hopefully it will stop soon.
I am making an appointment for a PAP anyways, just to be safe.
|

User Profile
Okay, I just looked with a mirror, and its just coming out of the center of my vagina, if I push at all, a little blood comes out. Today it is a light redish-brown color. But definitely just from up inside, nothing outer.
|

replied July 26th, 2012
important to know.
after my period ended .. i had sex with my bf next day then two days later again sex.. then one week later it bleed? I dont know what wrong?
|

replied July 26th, 2012
Community Volunteer
It does not sound like anything 'went wrong'. Sometimes our bodies does strange things for no apparent reason.

Why do you think this is not your period? Did you not get your normal period signs? How much is it bleeding? What color is it? Is there any smell? Is the texture and smell any different from your period? What cycle day are you on. (day 1 is when you started your last period) and how long is your cycles normally? Are you sure you removed your last tampon (don't laugh, it happens)?

Did you look in a mirror to see where it was coming from (vagina or vulva)?

Did is start after masturbation?

Do you use condoms for sex? Are you on birth control? Did you recently start any new medicines?
|

replied January 25th, 2013
Blood clots while having sex
I had sex with my boyfriend 3 days after my period and a gush of blood and clots splurged out while we where having sex,,please help,,I live in a country where having sex before marriage is illegal so i cannot go to a doctor,,and I don't know what to do but I'm worried,,the blood had clots in it and it was bright red,,it ended soon after that and hours and 3days after which is today,there is dark brown fluid coming from my vagina and an occasional dull ache on the left side of my lower abdomin,,please help
|

Do you keep everything trimmed short down there??
I was having this same issue. It was causing clots of blood that made it look like a mini period. The friction from the coursesness of the hair down there is more damaging than we realize. I never felt the friction per say, it just created a very dry feeling for me when in actuallity I was not dry at all. I trim mine to about a quarter of an inch. If it can stretch over the vaginal opening, it's too long.
|

I wax at all times,,the blood came from inside of my vagina not the outside
|

replied February 6th, 2013
Period like bleeding after rough sex.
I literally just got off my period. A little discharge here and there. My boyfriend and I wanted to try a fetish of his. Fisting, lets just say four fingers barely made it. Then we had normal intercourse. But very rough and if he went to deep it really hurt. Right after I noticed some blood on him. I ran to the bathroom and stuck my fingers down there to see if it was him or me. It was me. Blood every where. About an hour later a saw a small blood clot when I wiped. Thirty minutes after that a nickle size blood clot. Is my vaginal bleeding caused from rough sex? Did I restart my period from having sex immediately after my period was over? Someone please help. You can email me. im not ashamed to put my name. I just want answers.
|

replied February 11th, 2013
We have the same experience . I bleed after we sex and its my 3 days after my period. I was worried though because it never happen before when we had sex. I was worried also because theres an odd smell i don't like the smell either. What should we do ? Does vaginal suppository help to get rid of the odor or does it needs first the prescription of the doctor. I am ashame to make love again of my bf because of this odor. Pls help.
|

replied March 9th, 2013
Bleeding after rough sex
I had rough sex with my boyfriend and I bled. Just that. Then it stopped after a while and I've had irritations since then, till now and it was a while ago that we had sex. I don't get wet like I used to. Any diagnosis?
|

replied September 9th, 2013
Slight bleeding
I have had sex 5 times last night and when I went to clean up
I had notice a little blood almost clear and had some pain in the
Bottom of my staumch.. I've been to the doctor last month and everything
Looks good what does that mean?
|

replied November 8th, 2013
Period Restarts after intercourse??
The same day my period stopped i had sex but right after i bleed and had a light period the next day what does this mean?
PLEASE HELP!
|

replied December 13th, 2013
Popped my cherry (again) lol
I haven't had sex in 3 months and 2 nights ago I had sex 4 times in a matter of 8 hours with my new boyfriend. His penis is really large and when he goes too deep it hurts something up inside. Right after we had sex I was feeling really sore inside, like he had hit something too hard or shifted something. I had laser surgery on my cervix 2 years ago to remove stage 2 pre-can cells and this (blood after sex) has happened before but never this heavy. I have irregular periods and get them every other month or every 2 months. I had a period last month so I don't think I am due for one this month, the blood is period like but I don't have the other symptoms that accompany a period (sore boobs, cramps, bloating and craving) The pain that I do have is more inside on my ovaries and slightly above that.
|

replied December 14th, 2013
Community Volunteer
It is quite possible that he hit your cervix and bruised it. For most women this does not create problems, but some get bleeding and pain.

If you are worried about it, see your doctor.
|

replied January 11th, 2014
After sex bleeding
Hi I had sex with my bf jst a day after my period ended. Its my FIRST time and it bleedin after den..its been a day and its still bleeding..We didnt use protection but i am sure i am not pregnant because he didnt let it out inside my vagina...can anyone help me with why its bleeding? thank you.
|