Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Bleeding after Orgasm / Bleeding for 4 weeks

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hello,

I am a 24 year old female. 5"3 and 15 stone.

For the last 5 years my periods have been very irregular, at one time I didn't have one for 3 months and assumed I had PCOS. I lost weight and all was back to normal. That was 4 years ago but now for the last 4 months I have had light spotting in between periods which then developed into heavier bleeding and now I have been bleeding for the most part of 4 weeks. I have noticed it is usually brought on after Orgasm (non penetrative). It is always bright red, clotty and I would say a Moderate bleed.

I have been with the same partner for 5 years and we always use protection. I had a smear 8 months ago when the spotting initially started and all was normal. What could this be as it is really getting in the way of my life and I am scared of becoming anemic because of this.

I have developed some facial hair and have real trouble with my weight (which I am now trying to lose) so I just assume it is PCOS but I don't associate PCOS with excessive bleeding, especially for a month straight?

I can't get an appointment with my GP for 3 weeks yet so any advice on what this could be would be very much appreciated.

P.S I have never taken birth control, I am not on any prescription medicine.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 3rd, 2014
Community Volunteer
Menstrual cramps are your uterus wall contracting to tear away the lining, break it up and expelling it as your period flow. An orgasm causes the same type of contractions through your uterus wall (that deep pleasurable feeling with the heat radiating out). So if your uterus lining thickened, it is possible that an orgasm can start bleeding. This is often called breakthrough bleeding and it happens because of disturbed hormone levels.

Please see your doctor. PCOS should not go untreated. It can make you infertile if left. It is often as easy as taking birth control pills to stop it and protect your fertility.

Best of luck!
|

replied February 13th, 2014
UPDATE:

I booked an emergency appointment to see my GP because I felt exhausted and really freaked out.

He booked me in for several blood tests, which included hormone levels, pregnancy, plus about 10 other things. I also had a triple swab done at the same time.

The bleeding eventually stopped a day or two later and my results had come back.

My GP said all my blood tests came back fine and so did my triple swab.

The next step is to have an ultrasound done to check for PCOS and to just have a look at my uterus in general.

Although the bleeding has stopped now, sods law says it will happen again so I am going to go for the ultrasound and find out why that happened to me.

I will update once that has done.
|