Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

bleeding after medical abortion

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I had a medical abortion through Planned Parenthood the last week of May. I went to my follow up appointment at the clinic 7 days later. Everything was fine. I have had bleeding and spotting since then. This last week I have experienced excessive bleeding and cramping. I've been bleeding for over 8 weeks now. Is this normal? What could be causing this? please reply...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You could be finally having a period..

Did you do abortion by pill?

Aborton by pill CAUSES long term bleeding and spotting, sometimes for 3-4 weeks.

This is why I recommend surgical abortion, it doe snot cause these same problems.
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Yes, I did do the abortion by pill, but like I said before I've been been bleeding since the last week of May. This can't just be my period, or could it?...
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
YES, it could be your period Smile

Many women will have a period 4 weeks after their abortion, the time range is 4 weeks to 8 weeks. Although it may take longer, many women have a period by 8 weeks.
|
Users who thank red72cup for this post: Archergirl 

replied February 4th, 2010
i did an abortion on jan and am stil heavy bleeding. what's happening? is that my period really?
|

replied February 4th, 2010
During this stage of the medical abortion, the bleeding is usually much heavier than during the initial stage and you will also typically experience cramps and significant clotting.

Always follow the exact instructions given by your particular health care provider and the manufacturer of your specific brand of abortion pills, since those instructions can vary from the general guidelines and facts brought forward in this article.
|
Quick Reply