Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Blackouts while pregnant

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
my partner is 5 weeks pregnant and keeps blacking out & complaining sometimes of having back pain & stomach pains but not the same time. She has been told that her blood pressure is low could this be the reason why this is happening
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2009
Supporter
Low blood pressure can cause blackouts but, as far as I know, is unrelated to the stomach and back pain. You should discuss her problem with her ob/gyn.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
black out while doing dishes
tuesday afternoon I was at the sink doing dishes when I suddenly felt light headed an started to black out ... I completely blackout ! this has never happend to me before.. I went to the er an the doctor said that it is common to blackout while being pregnant I'm 3months an 2 days along an this isn't my first pregnancy... ! is it true to have a blackout while being pregnant?
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2009
Supporter
Do you- either of you- mean blacking out as in, passing out or do you mean blacking out as in forgetting entire chunks of time? Fainting is pretty common in pregnancy, having a blackout is not.
|

replied May 15th, 2009
blacking out
what I meant by blacking out was.. I was doing dishes an all of a sudden I go from having lots of light to going into tunnel vision to having no light at all I was totally in the dark you could say.. I couldn't see anything for abt 10 mins I believe it was.. that is what I'm talking about as a black out for me !
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Supporter
Nikkie80
Several sites stated that it is normal for expectant mothers to develop some type of vision problems. However some vision problems, like tunnel vision, can indicate more severe problems- preeclampsia/ toxemia, pituitary adenoma... You should mention this to your doctor at your next prenatal visit.
|

replied May 16th, 2009
black outs
whats funny is that I had my appt. on friday an told him abt it an he wasn't worried abt it at all he just said to keep an eye on my bp an if it happens again just to sit down where Iam an wait until its gone but it scared me to death because thats never happen to me before lol
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2009
Supporter
Well, I'll have to concede to the expert- your doctor. But I worry over what will happen if you experience this while away from home or driving the car. I hope you don't experience the tunnel vision anymore!
|

replied May 17th, 2009
black outs
well for the driving .. I don't have my DL so thats no big deal but having it other places now that scares me lol... I had experieced the tunnel vision today while helping my husband do dishs an making iced tea.. this time I felt light-headed an had a warm fuzzy feeling starting in the back of my skull an wraping around to the front of my head which was causing my vision to go dim but I was able to get to a chair an rest... this time I had my husband with me lol..
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2009
Black Outs
You might want to inquire as to what your hemoglobin (or iron) level is the next time you speak with your doctor. Tunnel vision is not a common complaint during pregnancy and might require additional studies such as a professional eye exam.

Are you eating? Are you taking your prenatal vitamins? During pregnancy, all of the food you eat goes to the baby first so if you're not eating properly or not able to tolerate food, hypoglycemia or low blood sugar might be the cause of the blackouts.

Have a healthy pregnancy and a safe delivery.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
black outs
the doctor said that my iron levels were good. I eat what I can when I don't feel like throwing it back up lol I eat 3 meals a day an drinking fluids and taking the nasty prenatal pills lol... the tunnel vision started yesterday from the back of my skull with a warm fuzzy feeling an wrapped around to the front.. but as for the low sugar I'm not sure about ... I'll have to ask on the 15 when I see my ob.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Hi my name is Kristen. I'm 17 and around 8 months pregnant. I don't have black outs but is it normal to get cramping this far into the pregnancy? Please responde ASAP!!!!
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2009
Supporter
Cramping is normal in the second and third trimester. As your uterus continues to expand and grow it can cause cramps.
|

replied September 27th, 2010
Nikkie80 reply to prenatal comments
Nikkie80, You should ask your OB to write you a script for a prenatal, I got mine to write me one becuse the nasty ones were making me sick and she wrote one for me that smells and tastes like chocolate. It makes it alot easier to take them everyday.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.