Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Blackouts due to anxiety ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
Can an anxiety or panic attack cause a person to black out? I've had black outs while at my desk at work, once when driving, a few times while using the restroom, watching t.v. I don't feel anxious at the time or have symptoms just the black out. However, in the past 2 weeks I've gone to the hospital 5 times because of my starting to have severe panic attacks but I haven't had a black out in awhile now. When someone talks to me or touches me I wake right up but I don't feel as if I'm waking from a sleep because I come right to and feel fine. Is this possibly caused by anxiety. I was taking Celexa and didn't like it so I stopped cold turkey which I know I'm not supposed to. My doctor has put me on 10 mg to manage the withdrawals but I feel worse on the medication. Help please, thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2010
Panic Attacks Answer A9275
Hello.

It seems that the fainting episodes and the anxiety attacks are separate in your situation. Usually a panic attack associated with hyperventilation can lead to syncope (black out). But in your case, you seem to have the syncope even when you are not anxious or hyperventilating.

You need to get an evaluation done by a Neurologist before you go to a psychiatrist. The syncope that you get could be due to sudden hypotension (lowered blood pressure).

It is important to note the duration of the blacking out episode. Normally after a syncope you do feel as if you have forgotten what you were doing, if only for a few seconds. Try to rule out sleep attacks of narcolepsy and absence seizures.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.