Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Black spots on my thoracic bone scan/ Thoracic back pain.

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I have horrible pain in my Thoracic spine and cervical spine.
First off, when the pain started, it would just cause a sort of burning feeling in my thoracic back and cervical back. But then the pain started to get worse and cause intense headaches. So much so, that I had to spend most of my day lying down. I thought it was muscular at first, but now when all the muscles are relaxed, it feels like I have gravel in my back, or maybe my chiropractor could adjust me and it would go away.
When it started, I was very physically fit. I ran 3-5 miles 5 days a week. I also did weight training, benching 325-350lbs, western and thai boxing, and a lot of core strengthening...
So, I thought maybe the exercise was causing it, and I quit working out. But the pain continued.
I saw a Physiatrist who diagnosed me with 2 herniated discs, and sent me to physical therapy. The PT only made it worse. Let's not forget, I was very fit when this came on and the PT workout is what I already was doing. I started acupuncture, hung upside down on a inversion table and did traction. NOTHING changed.
Then I got an MRI, which showed no issues, no arthritis and very little degeneration, for a 46yr old man.
So, then I added chiropractic to the mix. So at one point I was doing acupuncture 2x's a week, chiro 2x's a week, PT 2x's aweek and massage 1x a week. Still,no change..
Then I went for a bone scan, believing it could be a ligament issue. They also did another round of xrays. I just had all of those read. I have bone spurs on my spine and two dark spots, where I point to for the pain. Which, for me is good news. That they can finally SEE where I say the pain is, is promising to me.
I can not stand too long, sit too long, or carry anything with out causing pain and head aches. The least amount of pain, is when I am lying down. And this has been going on for 8-10 mos.
So, now I am going in for a CT scan to see if that tells us what the black spots on my spine are.There is also some talk about cancer, but my primary Dr already did a couple of blood tests for cancer, and they were fine.

I am not able to work out at all and I can only work a few hours a day because of the pain.
I have been chasing this down for about 8 months and am hopeful that I will find a diagnosis, and I can get back to my life.
Has anyone else dealt with this sort of thing?
Thanks for any info you have.
Did you find this post helpful?
|