Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Black Specks in Mucus- Nonsmoker

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Hello.

I am 23 years old, otherwise good health and on no medications. I have never smoked in my life, I have never taken drugs, and I do not drink. About 6 months ago I fell ill and couldn't get better even after about a month and a half. A doctor prescribed me medication for pneumonia, which eventually cleared things up after about 1 week. By the end of my sickness and every time I have caught a cold since then (my immune system isn't the strongest and I've caught about 4-5 colds since then, all minor) I have been finding black specks in my mucus. They are definitely not dried blood, they are small and look like they are composed of small fibers. They are pure black and if I let them dry and touch them (gross, I know) they actually smear much like ash. The only answers I've found online relating to black dots in mucus are from smokers, but not only do I never smoke but I am never around smokers at all, no one close to me smokes and I avoid it anytime anyone near me is smoking.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Black specks in the phelgm can be suggestive of lung disorder or the disease not being cured fully.I will suggest you to return to your Doctor and explain him these symptoms.A detailed examination of the lungs and airways along with X ray/CT scan would be required to rule out the exact cause.

Take Care!

|

replied May 27th, 2013
Eyeliner can go in the eyes and secreted through the nose which is why it would be so thin and smudge sorry this is so late
|

replied June 23rd, 2013
@mglasmann if you are still active on here I would appreciate your input. I am also 23 and finding these black/grey specs in my mucus. Same as you I am a non smoker and find that the specs smear like ash. Were you ever able to determine the cause?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.