Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

black mold effects on 8 week old baby

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
my daughter lives in a rented flat and has discovered black mould growing behind all the furniture and radiators..can this harm the 8 week old baby?
this is urgent
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper chrissy52279
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
From what I know about black mold that there is a couple different types.. Black mold is very harmful to any child/infant or pregnant woman.. There is a local government agency that will come out and look at it for you at the owners expense or they might even do it for free.. I would have someone take a look at asap.. And I wouldn't as a parent stay there until it is checked out..
|

replied June 9th, 2008
that is helpful , thank you...moving is not an option right this minute,,ahe has to stay another month in the flat...she has washed the walls with bleach but everything smells now Confused Crying or Very sad
|

replied June 9th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
She should follow up the bleach wash with a borax wash. The bleach will kill the mold but the borax will keep it from coming back.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
She shouldn't even be living there and I'm sorry she's in that situation.... the landlord cannot lease with harmful black mold and it's not the responsibility of the tenant to take care of it. In this case, if there was harmful black mold, that would constitute a legitimate reason to break a lease. The landlord could face possible serious liability on this.

There are different kinds of black mold, but the toxic kind can cause brain damage and even death. I went through a situation with black mold in a property I was going to buy and the bank wouldn't even loan the money for the mortgage because of the mold problem, about which I had to research to a great extent.

She can try plasticing off the area and try not to go anywhere near it. Only licensed professionals wearing the proper gear and using the right technique should mess with it at all. The EPA could probably send her some more information on what to do.

http://www.allaroundthehouse.com/re.let5-6 .htm
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2008
I have to agree by law she shouldn't be making you stay there what so ever!! I feel so horable for you and you little one!! I would contact a lawer that would sit down and talk to you for free about your rental rights..
My sisters friend was 35weeks pregnant with twins and the had black mold in there home they did the bleach thing and it came back.. Soon after that they had to burn there house down because it was sooo toxic and no matter what anyone did it would always return.
But please look into some of your options I would hate to see something happen to you and your little one!
|

replied January 25th, 2009
get out of there!!!
My son and daughter and I have lived in 2 mold infested apartments here in San Antonio. During this time our health has been compromised greatly. Sores and cuts would not heal. My 22 year old daughter had constant reoccuring UTIs which became septic because antibiotics could not keep up with them. As a result of and injury incurred during her last ICU visit she is now a parapalegic. We had rashes and respiratory problems. My 19 yr old son has developed Irritable Bowel syndrome, and Acid reflux. We all have suffered drowsiness, listlessness, loss of memory and difficulty concentrating. I feel generally weak. Long term exposure to mold has been proven to impair the immune suystem. It is illegal to maintain a property in Texas with black mold concentration, yet both the city and Texas EPA officials take a hohum attitude and defend the apartment complexes in saying that it is hard to control and expensive for apartment owners to remedy. Do I think mold is dangerous--particularly black mold--YES! Take that baby out of there.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
You too???
I'm having the same difficult problem. My father built a house about 4 years ago, and it's a beautiful house. All but the downstairs basement. Lucky for me, i'm living in the basement in one of the three rooms down there with my step brother. My step sisters old room is covered in the corner with black mold, but thats not the worst of it. Our bathroom downstairs is destroyed with black mold...and crickets. Its coming from under the shower base, I know that, and the mold is growning on the sides of the shower and in the shower. I'm scared to step foot in there, because i'm 8 weeks pregnant. Aside from my immune system sucking, I already have cancer (oligerdendroglyoma) in my brain and i'm already at high risk for a pregnancy. I don't want me or my unborn inhaling that stuff, but my dad seems to just brush it off like i'll survive (my dad is the kind of guy who would accidentally have his leg cut off and not go to the hospital saying 'i'll take 5 ib profens and everything should be ok') How do I tell my dad calmly without hurting his feelings or ending up in a fight with him. I need a shower!
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2009
why dont u contact your landlord and tell him or get someone to look at it because i dont its suitable for a child if i was u i was stay somewere else until its sorted
|

replied December 29th, 2010
black mold in my house
I have black mold in my shower and probably in my ceilings and we are always sick and when we go to the doctor they just try to tell us its a cold. But we can't get well or stay well. I don't have the money to fix this problem I am already on disabilty. I had my insurance come out and look at my roof and the inside of my house and they wouldn't fix it b/c my prem. was 1000.00 and I can't come up with that.. What can we do? My 9 month old, 10yr and 8 yr old are staying sick too alone with me and my hubby can we do anything? Is there anyone that can help us??
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Sometimes for people on disability the have agencies like Heap/Weatherization they will usually go through the home find out what all needs to be done & then the home owner may have to depending on income pay a small portion But, they will have to sign stating they wont sell there home for no less then five years.Also if you own your home make sure if your age and or disability qualifies you for your signed up on something that most cities call HOMESTEAD which would cut your taxes in half of your home and property as well..Even if your taxes are included in your house payment.
|

replied January 31st, 2011
HELP!we lived in a house that was covered in black mold and later found out it was painted over this was ingested for the 1st 7month of our pregnancies mine ended in miscarriage and unfortunately my grandauter has a heart defect which we are almost positive that came from the long term ingestion she is now on lifesupport fighting for her life. who do we call someone help me please. IM SCARED FOR MY FAMILY
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi trinity2010....This you would have to talk to your physician about...I am not familiar with the happenings of black mold...Please check it out...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied February 26th, 2011
toxic black mould
first of all i want to say that doctors are not equipped to deal with black mould. they do not learn about this in college. they are ignorant to the fact that black mould is lethal when ingested or inhaled for large periods of time. not enough testing is carried out by professionals. government bodies should step in and educate people as to the harmful effects of this poison.
the following is a TRUE STORY of how black mould effected me:
i was in pristine health in my apartment then i decide to build an extension. i build it on a budget so i did not use insulation etc. after the first 2 weeks i noticed small black spores appearing on the dry-lining, washed it down, 2 weeks later noticed even more appearing, i also noticed a murky small (mould) and this instantly felt like it was effecting me, the mould got worse and so did the effects on me. i found it increasingly difficult to breathe, especially at night. i went to the doctors, she told me it was an allergy to something in the house but UNLIKELY to be mould effects. the inhaler would only help for an hour but i would wake up in the morning very wheezy. then sleeping began getting more difficult and i was up for half the night coughing. it got so bad i went to the doctor again, she gave me a steroid inhaler but that would still only help for a little while. i then actually felt like i was weaker, i felt my immune system was shattered, i felt like my lungs were bleeding, i was coughing furiously, even my eyes were sore and i could see black circles around them and i had terrible acid reflux, it didnt take a genius to figure out my body was trying to tell me something, my body was telling me to get the hell out of that apartment. i then couldnt take it anymore it was like the mould was making me crazy so i moved back with my parents for a while. within 2 weeks i noticed a vast improvement in my health. i got my apartment irrigated and blocked up the extension. i moved back into the apartment a week later and it was so much better. i fell my lungs are damaged from the events but all in all i am happy to be finished with mould. i put the apartment up for sale and it has since sold. now i just want to pass on what i know about mould to other people. i also read a lot into mould whilst back in my parents and found out that those symptoms are typicla for mould sufferers, and spychological effects can be just as bad as the physical effects. Please let me know if this has helped you.
|

replied January 13th, 2013
My son was born in August and he seemed fairly healthy and all until one day in the begging of september he mysterously got a 101.4 temp with no other symptoms and no one else in the house was sick. I thought maybe it was just a flu or something so I took my son to the doctor who noticed he was loosing a lot of weight and I told her that he hadn't been eating as much, but I thought that might be do to his reflux. My son's doctor said she wasn't sure what was wrong but very concerned about his 101.4 temp in such a small child/newborn so she told us to take him to the ER right away. At the hospital we were seen right away and the doctors/nurses started to do extinsive blood tests and a spinal tap to rule out meningitis (I,m not sure if I spelled that right) any way come to find out after many tests and staying in the hospital for about a week the doctors found out he had severe swelling of the right kidney due to a UTI/bladder/kidney/blood infection and was put on major antibiotics for several days. My son seemed to get some what better after a few days, but he was still sort of lethargic and fussy, he also would run a low grade fever but the ER doctor and my son's doctor could never really diagnose him with anything. Then later in september early october I went and saw a different doctor and he diagnosed my almost two month old son at the time with thrush wich is a fungi infection of the mouth, and an infection in both his eyes. The doctor gave my son some medicine for his thrush and eye drops for his eyes, and told me to bring him back or take him to the ER if he didn't seem to be getting better. A few days later my son at the time two months old got a 102 degree temp, so we gave him some infant tylenol and his fever only went down to 101.4 so my hubby and I went to the ER and the doctor said at first his x-ray of his chest said he had phemonia, but we told the doctor he didn't have any symptoms, and no one else in the house had been sick either, so my son was admitted for a 24-48 hour observation and it was concluded that he had another kiddney infection and was put on some more antibiotics. Oh also when the nurse in the ER room hooked my son up to the vital machine his heart rate was in the 200's at times wich I think it meant he was having heart palpitations probably caused by the black mold my hubby and I found under the house later in the house we rent. In fact soon after my son was diagnosed with all these health problems we found out we also had our sewer back up and my hubby found a lot of leaky pipes under our house that were causing the black mold in the house walls. We told our landlord of all the problems we found with the house and he fixed the sewer sort of and a part of the many leaky pipes that are under the house and then told us to bleach the mold to make it go away (wich it doesn't). My hubby and I have done extinsive reasearch on black mold and found out most if not all of our now five month old's health problems along with our three other children's health problems are do to the black mold in our house. So to answer your question is black mold dangerous to your 8 week old, yes! and in our search we found it can also be fatal to newborns all the way to five year olds causeing severe problems ranging from severe breathing problems to bleeding problems from the inside of the childs/infants lungs and or stomach. Unfortatntly we are still fighting with our landlord, and have gone to many agencies such as Enviromental Health and they have not been any help us so my hubby and I have come to the conclusion we are going to have to take matters in our own hands and use our rent money wich we have been with holding for last couple of months to hire our own private investigators to test our air quility and the mold in our house. Also come Feburary when my hubby gets his taxes we will be looking for another house to rent. Hope my story is helpfull to you in some way or another and good luck with your situation.
|

replied July 19th, 2013
ive never had bronchitis or larygitis all my life since moving this home started coughing my sin severely sick coughing
the room bdrm had history of mould on ceilings
ny son coughing badly
|

replied July 19th, 2013
is landlord liable to treat im very sick
|
Quick Reply