Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Black lines in thick yellow/brown toenail

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
User Profile
I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

For a couple of years, I have one toenail (third on right foot) in which the bed of the nail has got thick and joined its self to nail bed (4mm thick) has turned a brown /yellow colour with horizontal ridges and I have a 2 or 3 splinter lines running vertical to the nail tip. At the base of these splinters it looks quite thick. My toes do not hurt at all.

I have been looking on the web and seen all sorts of things. One of the common signs is skin cancer. I see that so many people are having a problem with these splinter things and they cant all have Cancer, so just wondering if anyone else had anything similar? When I researched, I couldn’t find anyone else with splinters on thick / toenails.

Thanks everyone.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile smudge11221
|

replied March 15th, 2011
I know exactly what your talking i have the same problem with that same nail i dnt understand what is? my toenail is real weak too!
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2011
My doctor or the ladies at the salon knew what it was. After speaking to a Pharmasist.I am currently using Daktarin 2% cream for a couple of months. It is slowly penetrating it....., watch this space
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2011
Try using Vics VapoRub. Put some on the base of the nail, and if you can, underneath the nail where it grows out from each side. Keep applying 2-3 times daily, and as your toenail grows out, the thick and yellow should diminish. Mind you, this may take 3 months, but, you should start noticing something better within a couple weeks or so.

The only other thing? Do a soak in a mild bleach solution.
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2011
this is a fungus- there are several of them. Use Loceral enamel - Daktarin is a good fungaside but this will coat your nail and prevent it from speading. Keep it dry and replace all your shoes and socks- they will carry the fungus. If it is warm weather expose you toes to the air.
The Loceral enamel will act like a fingernail polish- just paint your nail once a week after you shower. It takes a full year for your nail to grow out but will improve in appearance in about three months. If you are concerned that it will spread or is spreading then do it more often. Read the directions. Here in Australia it costs about $100 for a bottle. It will last you for all of the year so it is worth the expense. You do not have to soak it or use another product. My dad used to soak his feet in bleach- ugh- and that will irritate the skin. I was also told that it is easy to get a bone infection from ingrown nails so I don't reccommend mucking around with it other than what they say to do on the bottle- good luck, ps mine looks great after about 4-5 months
|