Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Bites on ankles

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
Hi,
I went on vacation to Belize. I sprayed myself with bug spray and I still got two bite marks right at the top of my socks (ankle area).

At first I felt itchy and saw a quater size red swelling (like a big mosquito bite). In about 2 to 3 hours my ankle became very swollen almost to the size of my fist. I went home and took some Benadryl and the swelling went down and I was able to see the two bite marks (when it was verrrrry swollen you couldn't see any bite marks on the swelling). The two bite marks had a little white pus looking heads. I kept taking benadryl and the swelling kept going down. I later had popped the heads and pus came out.

It is day 5 and my ankle is no longer swollen and the bite marks look much better. They are no longer red. One bite mark has a scab on it and it feels hard when I press on it. There is no pain or itchyness.

Does anyone have any idea what bite me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Generally bite that affects you that strongly will not be a mystery. The pain from the kind of poison needed to cause a distress like that would make it clear immediately who did the biting. Odds are it was a random innocuous insect bite that carried an infection with it. Check your tempeture, keep a close eye on the leg with the bite. If you're above normal or if there's any swelling or discoloration in the leg go see a doctor. Otherwise it sounds like you're on the mend.
|
Did you find this post helpful?