Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Bite wounds leaking fluid

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
About six weeks ago I think something bit me on the top of the foot. It became slightly red and then became like an open reddish wound, round and raised, and would keep leaking a clear fluid with a yellowish tinge. Then after a while it became quite big, about 5cm in diameter, but now is finally starting to heal over and not leak much.

But in the last few weeks, I have 3 more on the same leg. They all start as a tiny bite like thing, is a little itchy then grows to about a 1cm raised bump, mostly red and leaking this same fluid. The fluid crusts up after a while, but after showering or if I somehow break the crust it leaks more.

Also, these wounds never bleed, and don't often itch so I don't scratch them. It's not a wound healing problem because I've had other scratches and grazes on the same leg and other parts of the body that heal up normally. I'm guessing I've been bitten by something that poisoned that skin area. I have no other symptoms, and had a blood test a few weeks ago completely normal.

I've been applying Bactroban (mupiricin) cream 1 - 2 times a day for several weeks, it seems to do nothing. I live in Australia, central Brisbane. This problem is extremely annoying, I would appreciate any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 18th, 2012
I'm having literally the exact same problem! Did you ever figure out what it was?
|

replied December 18th, 2012
Hey, yeah I did. So after this happened in 2008, it lasted about 5 months, then it slowly healed. The same thing recently happened again a few months ago, and the doctor recommended I try a steroid cream, which you normally don't put on open wounds but I tried it and it healed within days. It seemed I had some sort of long lasting weird allergic reaction to insect bites. Get a steroid cream from the chemist, apply and cover, see if it helps.
|

replied December 23rd, 2012
Same thing here! Bizaree.
|