Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

bite has left a lump under my skin.

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
User Profile
I had a bite but it's left a lump under my skin. It's been a week now and it's still there. In england. it's not itchy. What could it be ?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2011
Insect Bites Answer A28528
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description it appears that you may be having a inflammatory reaction to the bite.

Usually such lumps subside within a few days post the bite. Since it is persisting for a long time, use of OTC anti-inflammatory medications like Advil might be helpful.

In presence of signs like redness, pain, and severe edematous swelling, the lump may be due to formation of a abscess due to secondary infection. In such a situation, you may need to consult a doctor for a examination and prescription of antibiotics to clear the infection.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.