Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

bipolar reading suggestions

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Aloha

I hope this finds you well. I was writing to find out some more information about bipolar disorder.

My husband of about a year and a half since we even dated has had mood swings and issues with anger. He told me from the beginning that there was bipolar in his family, his father, grandma and cousin are all on medication for the disorder.

His occupation is a bit different, he is a skydiver by profession. On a few demonstration teams such as Red Bull and drinks the stuff too (yuck!) So he is constantly on those highs and lows with skydiving. that combined with his past 10 year abuse of cocaine I feel like his emotions never really got a chance to fully develop in a healthy way. He has been clean for the past year now.

These episodes or anger outbursts he has have been cycling much quicker. I have noticed that he hasn't slept well, staying up for hours on end on things like craigslist searching for things to buy. He frequently will but things on a whim that are not practical. I am assuming it is because of the high he gets?

His lows are very depressive. Like in the fetal position crying, I am a very emotional woman, but the only times I have huddled like that are from a death or something severe. I have cried to that extent over this issue, feeling helpless that he will not get help.

We are separated right now. He had an outburst of anger as we were packing up to leave him. For the first time I witnesses our child react to him in fear and reach for me (she is one yr old) we also have one more on the way in just 2 1/2 weeks. So this comes at a very inopportune time. It's heartbreaking and I am not quite sure what to do anymore. Begging for him to get help surely has not been the answer.

He is currently seeing a psychologist for anger management but his episodes have gotten worse. To a certain degree I have seen improvements, it's when he is "normal" per say.

Not really sure what to do except protect my family. I'm hoping maybe I can supply him with information about the disorder and hope he gets tested. I have said a few times I think his counselor is passive, I've talked to her about even this past circumstance and it's just deflating the response. It almost sounds like a woman with blinders on. "Oh I haven't seen that behaivor". I realize she worked hard for her education but she is not a Dr, and this is something medical.

Is there any information you may suggest that I can give him to read? He is not permitted to be alone with the kids until he gets help, and I'm not sure if that altimatum helps or makes it worse.

any idea?

Thank you so much for your time
Marissa
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2009
Supporter
buying things on a whim is part of being bipolar. my ex b/f's sister was bipolar and when she gets upset she's worse than the incredible halk.
i can email you information on bipolar and the symptoms. i seen a psychiatrist and therapist. they usually listen to you and write things down. they never said anything to hurt or upset me.
i seen a psychologist and she was brutally honest. she told me she was going to keep talking to me to see if she can rule out bipolar.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Living Out of Darkness: A personal journey of embracing the bipolar opportunity, by George Denslow, does a really good job of describing what it's like to be bipolar so that us loved ones can understand (and he gives lots of suggestions that might be helpful to your husband too, if he's interested. Blessings to you and yours.
|