Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar or mood disorder ?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
Ok heres my problem, one doctor says I'm bipolar the other just says I have a mood disorder. Who do I believe?
Let me tell you alittle about myself.
When I was 16 I started to have sleeping problems I would start sleeping less and less yet I still felt great not tired at all. To the point that my parents would not have know had I not been up making noise. I like to sculpt things and my dad would get upset when it was 1 a.m. and I would be trying to find stuff to do my scupling with. At first it was just that then I started getting these take home projects from school that was supossed to take 2-3 weeks but I was always done with in 3-4 days because of the not sleeping. that lasted for about 2 months. for the next 3 months I was so depressed that I started thinking I would be better dead, but then I would be okay agian, well at least for 4 months give or take a week. I really need to know who to believe? I want to believe it's just a mood disorder, but I don't want to be wrong.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2010
Bipolar Disorder Answer A16430
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by whether you have bipolar disorder or a mood disorder.
Mood disorder is the term given for a group of diagnoses in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV TR) classification system where a disturbance in the person's mood is hypothesized to be the main underlying feature. The classification is known as mood (affective) disorders in ICD 10.
Bipolar disorder is also a subtype of mood disorders and described by alternating periods of mania and depression (and in some cases rapid cycling, mixed states, and psychotic symptoms).
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Bipolar
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.