Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar meds and erections ?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
I am bipolar and had an episode early this year. was placed on depakote 700mg bd and abilify 30mg mane. I also take haloperidol as required as it helped clear my psychotic symptoms while in hospital. but recently i discovered that my erections are not that hard.could it be due to the medications.i would describe my mood as mildly depresed though i still listen to music and laugh on occasions. thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2009
Bipolar Disorder Answer A8712
Hello.

If you are comparing your erections now to what you used to have at the age of 20, then it's a natural process. It has been studied that the strength of erection at around 28 years of age is almost 1/5ht of that at the age of 18-19 years.

But if you have noticed the change recently, it is a possible effect of the illness as well as the medication. The medication you take is known to affect the sex drive.

You could watch over a few weeks if your problem varies with mood. If it does, you have your answers.

Please do not attach a lot of anxiety and/or guilt to this problem. It may be a phase which you will recover from soon.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.