Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

bipolar can be cured

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
hello people. bipolar cant be controlled and cured. some people including me manage to do it. its not a sickness that you have to live with it all your life. but to manage to control it first you have to to know what is it and what brought you to this state of mind. if you understand way you ended up on been bipolar then you will find the way to get out of mania or depression. i don't say its easy but its not impossible. so if you want to talk about your experience feel free to write your point of view. i can share my experience with you. wish you the best
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper apolos
|

replied December 30th, 2009
Bipolar cannot be cured, but it can become stabilized if taking meds as prescribed and following a healthy life style. Having a SPECT scan showed just what meds I needed to remain stable. After decades of suffering, I have been stable for 11 years. Bipolar is a Neurological condition, not a "mental disease." It shows up on SPECT scans and is REAL.
|

replied December 31st, 2009
i wish you to find out how to cure urself as i did. you have to know that in nature everything is reversable. and every condition can be change. this is a physical low. the fact that you didnt find yet a way to cure the condition dosent meen that it dosent exist. you can ask other people who managed to cure themself and live without medication...
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
Supporter
You are the first person I have ever heard of who was cured. But, often times people with mental illness don't believe they need medication. However if there is a cure out there I would love to find it for my friend.
|

replied November 15th, 2011
I don't know how actually I got rid of it,may be due to my friends support and their faith.I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia in 2005 March and later with BD in April 2008 and it continued till 2009 Oct.I had auditory and visual hallucinations in that period.My father is a paediatrician so I was diagnosed at the first symptom. I remained under medication and had a very bad academic performance.I failed in my first year of engineering.

In between I left the medication suddenly for almost 6 months,and one day due to high stress, mood swings became extreme which was untill now kept under control by olanzapine .I again went to another psychiatrist,by that time my manic depressive symptoms were very clear.The doctor changed the medicines accordingly.It was April 2008. I promised everyone that,I would continue my medicine.After the relapse and started the medication again.I was totally hopeless with my intellectual power dampened by lithium carbonate (best med to control BD) and other medicine to control its side-effects.The pain inside was so much intense that it can be explained in words.But the condition was such that my hands trembled, when I tried to write,but still I forcefully practiced for my exams.In between that time I was tempted to leave the medicine again,I left it and faced the obvious consequences.

Engineering was too demanding, I knew that,so I again took the risk and started skipping and lessening my dosages.I worked hard to learn my subjects.In this skipping-period,whenever I felt I was crossing my limits I took Lithium.Amazingly when results came out, I passed all 7 subjects of first year engineering.This was really a feat for a person who was diagnosed recently.I was filled with optimism, by now I was very stabilized.But during periods of stress,I took some lithium.I started living life exactly like before.

Gradually I controlled my dependence on lithium for stress relief and completely stopped medication.Two years passed on. one day I told truth to my father.He told me to give my psychiatrist a visit.So,I visited him and revealed him the truth.When I asked about medicines he said that,you are perfectly fine without them so whats the need of them. That was the day of my redemption .I still have the prescription written my psychiatrist --Under observation ,something like that.He told me to contact him if a need comes.

Its been an year, there is no sign of bipolar, even the faintest.I had a tryst with bipolar disorder for 4 years so I know its symptoms very well. I know my story is hard to believe but its every word is true.
|

replied June 8th, 2012
have you taken any vitamins

hello , i would like to know if you have taken any vitamins at the time when you stopped your medication. look forward to hearing from you. thanks and best
|

replied January 18th, 2010
hello gotquestion. i have to say to you that as far as i know another person in america is fine for long without medication. And i am sure that there are also other persons around the world. i know for you its hard to belive it but i tell you my truth. my case was very complicated cose i was constantly gaving up medication at the past and faced problems. but after experimenting with my self i found a way to control my mind. of course every case is deferent. if someone else folow exactly what i did i dont know if he will be ok but it worked for me my friend. of caurse there is not any sientific proof about what i did cose i experiment a lot with myself. but i wanted to find a way to be well and now i am fine and can function normally in the society
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
I was diagnose with bipolar at the age of 16, I went in and out of the hospital, 3 months at a time for mania, 1 time depression, not hosptalized. I am now 30 and it's been 10 years since my last episode. I haven't done anything with it, not taking meds and I have a steady job, savings, and living like the rest of the people, I always want to get rediagnose because I believe that I can't possible have bipolar...or could I?
|

replied November 21st, 2011
hey plz reply me back. i really need to talk to you over this. plz reply me back.
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Hi Iam here replying back...: )
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Experienced User
I doubt you have BP or BPD. Both are Neurological conditions which in all the cases I have studied are not controlled without the proper diet and medication. I believe the outward behaviors may be an element that can be controlled however that remains to be seen...
|

replied April 5th, 2011
i hope you are right.
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Experienced User
I would suggest you seek the help of a professional for proper diagnosis if you feel you may have a disorder
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Bipolar can be controlled, it cannot be cured...Unfortunately, far too many judgement calls are made on this problem by people not having the proper credentials to make them...This is a sad fact of life...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 8th, 2012
have you taken any vitamins
hello , i would like to know if you have taken any vitamins at the time when you stopped your medication. look forward to hearing from you. thanks and best
|

replied February 27th, 2013
I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 16, but they believe I had it since I was 6. I was suicidal since I was 6, I was nearly successful in my suicidal attempts several times and was in hospital so many times. I got told constantly from the doctor's, you shouldn't be alive. I had mania so bad I could hear voices, I got signs from the radio and tv and way more. I was on medication after years of arguing I don't want it. It really helped me think "normally" and then I decided I'm better and don't need it. I did have a few up and downs. But with CBT & counselling I managed to feel very stable. I have been stable for over 6 months now & every time I have a trigger or early sign of mania or depression I work really hard on it. My psychiatrist says I only need medication when I believe I need it and he is very proud/shock of my progress. I don't know if I'm "cured" but I'm very proud of my progress without medication.
|