Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar boyfriend maybe draining me

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I have been in a relationship with a guy who is Bipolar/Manic/Schizophrenia. He told me in the beginning of the relationship that he has issues, but I don't see him acting out or being that type of person. When I first meet him we were together for 6 months something I said to him got him upset and we broke apart he didn't want to deal with me a year passed and the following year I decided that I wanted to be back with him. It was enough to realize what type of person I was dealing with. We finally were able to make it threw a year. The past few month he would come over often and spend time with me just hanging out. What I really have noticed about him is that he is so paranoid like he doesn't want to be touch, even though I men well and its away of showing my affection I have to touch him. This makes him really upset and he says stuff like he can hurt me and that he want's to do mean things to me. Even when I give him a light touch he hits me back. I'm always asking my self why the hell does he do that and I'm realizing it has to be because of his Bipolar, lately he doesn't want to come over and has been staying home. When I ask him about coming over he tells me yes he well, or will say he doesn't know I just feel that he's going threw one of his phases and I need to fall back, it's so hard to do that when you love someone so much. I feel like I need him around and he just rather stay home.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper luvmypolarbear
|

replied February 12th, 2011
When I ask him about coming over he tells me yes he well, or will say he doesn't know I just feel that he's going threw one of his phases and I need to fall back, it's so hard to do that when you love someone so much. I feel like I need him around and he just rather stay home.

Read more: Bipolar Disorder Forum - Bipolar boyfriend maybe draining me http://ehealthforum.com/health/bipolar-boy friend-maybe-draining-me-t267063.html#ixzz 1DksnARTp
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Experienced User
My boyfriend also does not like to be touched at all, he really has issues with that, somedays I cannot even touch lighly his back in the street,once he even lashed out when i took his hand. He got angry many times when i held his arm. He would only touch me in bed, but even though he would not kiss or like a lot of cuddling. VERY weird, it is the BP, I think. We have broken up again, this time Im quite relieved, even though I do love him.
|

replied April 19th, 2011
Yes my bp boyfriend was sexually abused as a child and has the same touching issues.
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Experienced User
A BP and/or BPD can bring the healthy person to their knees. I know...I have been there.....
|

replied April 10th, 2011
I am with my husband 22 yrs, married 19 yrs. Bi-polar has been a great challenge in our marriage. He did not have any symptoms until after we were married. Not wanting to be touched was one of the many. In addition, to that he left or threatened to leave alot. I found I was crying myself to sleep alot in the beginning. I knew he loved me and it was about him and not me, but it still hurt so much. So, when he came to just to rub my back or steal a kiss I let him take the lead. Sometimes it was great. But it was far and few between. I had to learn his moods. As I did, our life improved.
After many years of marriage, my husband explained the reason he pulled away. It was so painful to hear but understandable. Due to the way he acted and treated me during his bipolar manias he felt he didn't deserve me or my love. Once he admitted this we were able talk about it and life improved even more. For the past 7 years we cuddled and hold each often.
I wish you all the best.
|

replied April 10th, 2011
I am with my husband 22 yrs, married 19 yrs. Bi-polar has been a great challenge in our marriage. He did not have any symptoms until after we were married. Not wanting to be touched was one of the many. In addition, to that he left or threatened to leave alot. I found I was crying myself to sleep alot in the beginning. I knew he loved me and it was about him and not me, but it still hurt so much. So, when he came to just to rub my back or steal a kiss I let him take the lead. Sometimes it was great. But it was far and few between. I had to learn his moods. As I did, our life improved.
After many years of marriage, my husband explained the reason he pulled away. It was so painful to hear but understandable. Due to the way he acted and treated me during his bipolar manias he felt he didn't deserve me or my love. Once he admitted this we were able talk about it and life improved even more. For the past 7 years we cuddled and hold each often.
I wish you all the best.
|