Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar and terrible memory

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I have been diagnosed bipolar for 5 years now, and I have been through many many meds. There seems to be a constant factor, on meds or not. I have no memory! It seems I forget everything. Silly little things that have little affect on life, and major issues that totally screw my life up. I don't know what it is. \
I can leave the house with a list in my mind of 4 things to get at the corner store, and come home with 6, and only 2 of them were on the original list! I have to repeat things over and over to myself right up until the point where I actually do it, or it is no longer necessary to do them, or I will forget almost every time.
This has really started to have an impact on every day life, causing me to have to make two, sometimes three trips to the store to get what I need, or causing me to miss doctor's appointments just hours after I reminded my husband that I had to go. My children get very upset because I forget the days and times of their baseball practices and games, and they are late or don't get to even go sometimes.
If anyone else has had this problem, or does now I would love to know because at least I wouldn't feel as if I were developing altzheimer's at the age of 29. I would just feel better if I know that I was not the only one with this problem, and am curious if it is a symptom of the bipolar or a by-product of the medications.
Thank you in advance for your response, and well-wishes to all!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I am not sure if it is part of the disorder or the medication but memory problems are common in people with bipolar disorder.

Cognitive therapy may be of some benefit to you. Lists are mandatory for you. Keeping a running grocery list that you can add to as you discover an item you need will prove very helpful. Developing checklists can be beneficial. Keep a calendar close at all times and consult it frequently. If you have an appointment set a timer on your watch or cell phone to alert you that it is time to leave. There are many little things you can do to overcome some memory deficiencies. Occupational therapists may offer suggestions to you. They deal with stroke patients and develop strategies to help patients with memory deficits.

I hope this helps.
|

replied May 14th, 2008
the same thing happens to me ! .. i am 19 years old and was diagnosed bipolar at age 15 and have been on 20 or so medictaions since then .. I can never remember anything .. if im extremely manic or depressed and you asked me what i had for dinner last night i wont know .. when my mood is normal my memory isn't AS bad, but still not as good as it should be for a 19 year old.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
bipolar, memory
I am bipolar. I have always had good long-term memory. I usually do OK at Jeopardy. But my short-term memory is horrible. I am constantly forgetting where things are. This has really effected my work performance. I always though this lapse in memory was a character weakness. I am glad to hear a connection between BP and memory loss.
|
Tags: Bipolar
Quick Reply