Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

bipolar and self-confidence

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
lately i've been insecure. i have gained a bit of weight, not much though. i was wondering if bp meds make you gain weight? and, does bp disorder cause insecurity? i've never read that it does and i guess it's all relative but i'm just at a loss.

i used to be secure with myself in almost every aspect of my life and now i don't. i feel confident at work.

i am having marital problems though... talk of separating and divorce. ugh! we've only been married just over one year! we've been through a lot... fertility, me accepting that i have bp disorder, the whole baby thing. he's so stressed out that he has a dermatological condition on his feet that makes huge cracks on the bottom of his feet... ouch!

i guess i want to know if any of this lack of self-confidence could stem from bp disorder. eek puzzld
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 13th, 2009
bipolar and self-confidence
Hi there, I have bipolar also and have had it for at least 5 years. I have gained weight galore! I take Lithium, Abilify, and Lexapro - and I believe 2 out of the 3 definitely can cause significant weight gain. But it is not worth it for me to stop taking them because if I do, I fear I will return to how I was before the meds, which was 100% delusional and majorly manic, basically out of my mind and out of control. I cannot afford to go back to that state again, so I am "fat and happy" instead of skinny and insane/depressed/manic... I gained from 115 pounds up to 155 pounds, so that is 40 pounds!
Just hang in there. hope this helps, Karen
|
Did you find this post helpful?