Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Bipolar and Health Insurance cancelled

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I'm bipolar and my health insurance was cancelled
I just found out wednesday last week 5/6/09 that our health insurance has been cancelled and Cobra was not even offered. It was cancelled without notice on 2/28. We do not qualify for Cobra as the company has less than 20 employees, we do not qualify for Adult Basic because we make too much money per them. (unbelievable). No one take into account your living expenses when making a determination on qualification. Does anyone know what I can do now? I need my meds or I will get sick again. The county says we make too much money for medical assistance, cause they consider us "not below poverty", but they don't know our situation. I have considered private insurance, not that I can afford it, but most health insurance companies are not likely to take you with "pre-exsiting" conditions. We are on the brink of losing everything. Needless to say, currently my mental health is not stable. Any advise would be helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 26th, 2009
Hey There!

I'm sorry to hear that your coverage got cancelled. I have Bipolar myself and understand the importance and need of the care and medication that goes along with. I was fortunate to find a very affordable plan despite my pre-existing conditions. It was hard at first, but now I pay less than $40 a month for my family and I have dental, medical, vision, prescription services included. So there is hope! I know there are other plans out there like the one I'm on.

***Blessings***
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Please, can u share who u found affordable insurance with? I cannot find anything less than $500 / month, and even that is only catastrophic ins....thanks...
|

replied May 26th, 2009
Experienced User
I would also suggest shopping around and reading up on pluses and minuses of each type of coverage. You may have to pay a little more with your pre-existing condition or it may not cover certain things for the first year or so, but even with that, a health plan will save you money in the long run. At the very least, if something isn't covered by your plan, you will pay the insurance's rate, rather than the one billed by the doctor or hospital. That can be a savings of thousands.
|