Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar and Genetics?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
I'm sixteen year old girl and I'm Bipolar. My Bipolar is trauma-induced, I also have PTSD. Since I didn't get Bipolar genetically from my parents, can I still pass it on to my children?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest91193
|

replied May 27th, 2012
Hi BlueEyedAngel, scientists and doctors are not completely sure whether it is certain you can get bipolar genetically. But, there is reasons to believe you can other than environmentally, a chemical imbalance, etc. I have bipolar disorder as well.
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
no
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
I have been going to a shrink, i do not talk to her, i dont want to go to her i am 14 and have deppression ,anxiety, selective mutism, and a couple other things anyway I really need someone to talk to just not face to face thats why i came to this web site. A couple of weeks ago i took a bunch of pills then went to sleep hoping not to wake up i did and threw up for three days straight, i am desperate and dont know what to do will any one just talk to me thats all i want right now. I wish i knew an easy way to get out of this world but for now talking to someone will help too.
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
actually I don't have deeply idea about that topic..
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
no
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
no
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
This is actually for 1234kittykat...I am very concerned for you. Please find someone you feel comfortable with and try to talk to someone. If you can't talk to your current therapist, that's ok, just try to find someone who is a good fit for you. Therapy isn't easy and takes time but I hope you find the help you need.
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2012
I feel like that all the time, kittykat... I tried to kill myself twice when I was young and I've considered taking pills, pretty much every bad night. (My mom is pretty abusive, but she's also on her way to dying of cancer... I have torn feelings about her, I can't not love her but she just hurts me...) I actually have a few plans but they only thing that keeps me from them is my boyfriend, who will listen to everything I have to say and loves me for everything I am (who knows why...?) You should probably find someone who will listen, like a friend or a family member. Honestly I don't like talking to therapists because they get paid to listen and I wonder if they really care... Anyways yeah.

And I can't pass my Bipolar down, or I can? I'm confused...
|

replied June 16th, 2012
yeah i have felt that way since i was 16 years old when my mother passed away and i am 23 now. but the thing is live life to the fullest. and try not to let things or people get to you. i know because i did and i almost died at 16 i took any kind of medication i could find around the house at the time not to mention sleeps pills and i would cut myself with a razor blade just so i could feel something. there are time i still feel like because at time i feel so numb a lot of the time.
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2012
I also have anxiety and depression. Can I pass these down to my kids when I have them?

Thanks for your help racingthoughts. Smile
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
No problem! Depression can usually does run in the family, causing disorders like bipolar, or borderline,etc. It runs in my family. My dad has depression, I have bipolar, and my sister had borderline. So, yes, a child's odds increase more from a family member having it. As for anxiety, I'm not so sure? Children can pick up habits, bu more than likely thy won't get it by being passed down. It's usually triggered from phobias, and more.
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2012
Thanks!!! I know I'm looking ahead, but I appreciate this help a lot. Very Happy
|

replied June 16th, 2012
can it also go from grandmother to granddaughter? or aunt to niece, because my granny and my aunt both had depression and nerve problems like anxiety. And i have panic attacks.
|

replied June 20th, 2012
The three top lies told by the psychiastrist pill pushers;
-Its genetic,
-Its a chemical imbalance.
-Your chances of leading a normal or healthy life depends on taking your meds.

There is no quick fix to mental disorders, but there are ways of dealing with it to have happy and fulfilling lives.
Good Luck.
|

replied June 21st, 2012
Hey Blue Eyed. Mental Health issues are definelty genetic. Get a dog or a cat.
|

replied June 21st, 2012
There has been no gene identified that shows you will have mental health issues.
Claiming that mental health disorders are genetic absolves one from the responsability of making healthy lifestyle choices, and dealing with unresolved issues.

Its not genetic, its not a chemical imbalance, it is complicated but fixable.
Do some research, there many sights similar to this, this is a good start.
|

replied June 30th, 2012
I've asked this a bunch of times just to figure out of I am bipolar myself or if I'm just a little emotional. Here's my family history with it:
Grandmother, Uncle and Aunt on my mom's side, and my mom. My father. My brother, and 4 cousins on my mom's side all suffer from bipolar disorder and/or manic depressive disorder.
Regardless of what diagnosis you want to attach to yourself or have had attached to you, don't let it define you and surround yourself with people and things that make you happy. Also, daily postive affirmations help a ton. Nobody is in control of your happiness but yourself.
Good luck
|