Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar and Full Moon effects?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hello,

I've been tracking my boyfriend's moods on a calendar the past few months and i've noticed something. The times that he gets angry and upset and leaves are ALWAYS on the day of a full moon. There was a full moon 2 days ago and that exact day he called me in a very mono-tone voice and told me he wasn't coming over and didn't want to see me. It is 2 days later and he's still upset with me for no apparent reason. I'm planning to leave him alone and see how long it takes before he comes back this time to see if it really IS the moon. I was just wondering if anyone else had taken notice to this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ben1488
|
Users who thank blueandyellow for this post: Sunahine2104 

replied May 3rd, 2010
Hi,
Yes I have seen this first hand. I am Bi-polar and seem to be hyper, excited, and irritable on full moons. But I also work in a psych office, for over 10 years, and every full moon is hectic. Everyone has an emergency. Some actually are, but most are just panic attacks.
|
Users who thank Labile26 for this post: Sunahine2104 

replied October 16th, 2010
Full Moon and New Moon effect on bipolar disease
I am bipolar and had rage attacks during the full moon and the new moon. I also don't sleep and feel totally out of sorts. It starts a couple of days before the new moon and the full moon and lasts until the day after. It is so terribly debilitating to face this twice every month. I work with a therapist and a psychiatrist and no one has come up with a solution. So if anyone knows what to do, please speak up!
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
Helpful Answer
I have been on paper bipolar for 20 plus years. If possible, not only during full/new moons, stay away from caffeine. I noticed any amount of caffeine, sugar as well makes me hyper and effects my sleep. It was very hard to give this up. I am very stable because of no longer drinking caffeine and consuming higher amounts of sugar. This means I have given up most desserts. Even with this practice, the full moons are hard to deal with at times, yet livable. I hope this helps you and others.
|

replied May 20th, 2011
Bipolar and a full moon
My ex-wife has not been labled as having a Bipolar mind, but I can tell she is. I looked up the topic "Bipolar and the full moon" because she is like dr. jeckle and mr. hide. She is a total nightmare when there is a full moon. All I can do is pray for her, and my kids. PO
|

replied May 20th, 2011
Bipolar and a full moon
My ex-wife has not been labled as having a Bipolar mind, but I can tell she is. I looked up the topic "Bipolar and the full moon" because she is like dr. jeckle and mr. hide. She is a total nightmare when there is a full moon. All I can do is pray for her, and my kids. PO
|

replied May 20th, 2011
WOW. I just looked into his, my BP bf has broken up with me on a full moon 3 times.....
|

replied May 20th, 2011
Experienced User
thanks for the advice. now i know whats going on in my boyfriends life. hes bipolar and has been cold and indifferent the last few days and not wanting to hang out now i know why this happens.
|

replied May 21st, 2011
Experienced User
I am highly skeptical. It is widely believed (even by people who work in hospitals and should know better) that the full moon has some sort of effect on human behavior, yet study after study has failed to find good evidence of a correlation.

I have been reading a lot of bipolar disorder, and there are some common "cyclical" stimuli believed to be triggers for episodes, like changing of the seasons, but these have a lot of evidence behind them showing changes in neurology associated with, for instance, SAD.

Any time that any event happens, there is nearly a 1/4 chance that it will happen during a full or nearly full moon, just by random chance. Add to that the fact that certain events which are known triggers for bipolar episodes (such as females' monthly hormonal cycles) could be, just by chance, closely synchronized to the lunar cycle, and it might be possible to have a statistically significant correlation.

It is a good idea to read up on the known triggers for bipolar episodes (usually they have to do with stress and/or changes in neurotransmitters or hormones) and be on the lookout for them. Now, if for some reason your loved one is particularly stressed out by full moons, then, for that one person, full moons might be a trigger for their episodes. In general, simple coincidence or confirmation bias seems like a better explanation for episodes occurring in coincidence with full moons.

Add to that the fact that for the more serious episodes, they often take a while (weeks) to reach the point where the behavior becomes extreme (although sometimes the onset is rapid). For instance, I started noticing my girlfriend withdrawing almost a month before she started saying things that did not make sense to me. Just because the episode caused some sort of huge social problem (like a breakup, missing work, et cetera) on a certain day does not mean the episode started on that day, which means that even if they did something extreme on a full moon, there is a good chance that the episode started at some other point.
|

replied September 12th, 2011
right... all that "just by chance." sorry hun but trust someone who's BP and spent way too much time in crazy houses that the full moon affects the crazies. i can't speak for all of them of course. but i could be locked in a basement with no windows for months and still be able to tell you when its a full moon. i can feel it in my whole body. all that other stuff isn't coincidence either. just because science hasn't found a way to prove it yet doesn't make it any less of a reality (like when people thought the Earth was flat.) maybe you should argue stuff you actually know something about.
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
For my bi-polar brother, it is mostly the opposite. He is worst around no-moon.
|

replied May 24th, 2011
Experienced User
I can't say for 100% a full moon had an effect...however I did notice the last time we spoke was on a day there was going to be a full moon. She completely lost all emotional control….as she usually did on a regular basis. BTW...she is bipolar, borderline personality disorder, anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc.. In other words...a complete walking night mare!

Chris
|

replied January 14th, 2012
I find that around the full moon that I get manic and on several occasions have been arrested for various public order offences> having been recently diagnosed this explains quite a lot to me!!!
|

replied April 6th, 2012
Bipolar and the effects of the full moon.
I am Bipolar and I'm actually posting this on the day of the full moon! April 6, 2012. I woke up this morning feeling a little off and Googled to see if there was going to be a full moon and indeed there is! I don't normally get mad but I do get manic and have a tendency to do things I wouldn't normally do! Therefore I have to be very careful not to drink during a full moon.
|

replied February 16th, 2014
I have cyclothymia... a mild form of bipolar disorder. I've felt fine for the last few months. Eating healthy and working out. I didn't sleep well the last two nights and have felt manic all day ie. eating non-stop, drinking beer and shopping on the interweb. Today is February 16, 2014 and there is a full moon. Call it coincidence or call it what you may. I cannot scientifically prove the full moon is the cause but, I know how I feel and it feels like there is a correlation to me. I'll be watching for triggers as the next full moon approaches.
|

replied February 19th, 2014
Regarding this full moon discussion, is it the sight of a full moon which causes this anxiety or can people with bipolar feel a full moon even when they cannot see it.
|
Quick Reply