Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar and Diet Soda ?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
How much diet soda or aspartame (NutraSweet) continaing foods do you consumer per day (For Bipolars)
Very little (1-2 sodas/servings per week or less)
Moderate amount (1 soda or nutrasweet snack per day)
Quite a bit (2-3 sodas/ snacks per day)
A lot (3-6 sodas (2 liter) / snacks per day)
I'm an admitted addict (6 pack/2-3 liters or more per day)
20%  20%  [ 1 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20%  20%  [ 1 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5
I heard about a possible link between Bipolar and eating foods with Aspartame and MSG.

Can we take a survey

- Do you or your BP "other" drink a lot of diet soda/other NutraSweet containing foods such as sugar free snacks? How much?

- What about MSG/Glutamate/Yeast Extract - this is a very common flavoring in things like Doritos, KFC, fast food, processed food, pre-made meals, etc.?

My husband drinks up to 3 liters of diet mountain dew per day, and eats at least some kind of junk or processed food daily. It seems like his BP did get worse when he switched from regular soda to diet a couple of years ago.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
My boys do not drink diet soda, no msg, no aspartame, no artificial sweeteners. I try to limit the sugar load for them as well. We have boys that have bipolar disorder and ADHD.

I have not read any studies showing any direct correlation between aspartame, msg, and bipolar disorder. I will go and research this now. I don't know that it is the cause but I do not think these chemicals would be a benefit to those who have this disorder.

Interesting poll.
|

replied November 16th, 2010
diet soda and being bipolar is a bad mix if you take too munch. I cut off the diet for a while and i got really calm then had 1 diet soda and i was calm. After that i went back to 5 or 6 a day and it got worst. So if your bipolar i would'nt think about drinking too munch.
|