Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar and Anxiety

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hello, I am a 24 year old male 6'2 - 205 lbs... I have always been in pretty good health other than being diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years ago. I take medication for that and my levels have stayed in check. I was also diagnosed with depression two years ago but the antidepressants didnt affect me at all. I saw a new psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Bipolar Disorder. I was put on 600mg Trileptal twice daily. This seemed to help, however I was concerned about one thing. I was diagnosed right after ending a year long drug addiction to cocaine (still clean today). I have always wondered if I was really bipolar, or if my actions, feelings, and behavior were due to my drug use. Fast forward to now. I moved away from home about 6 months ago and started a new job working rotating shift work at a chemical plant. Over the past few months I have gotten more and more stressed and anxious. I have also developed bad health anxiety. I have been to the ER four times in 3 months for headaches, heart racing, etc. I had a CT scan, EKG, even a spinal tap done. All of that came back negative. Blood work shows normal levels as well. Cholesterol is good, blood pressure at rest is normal. What worries me is that anytime I am doing any type of strenuous activity it feels like my heart rate is really racing. My doctor has ordered a holter monitor, which i will pick up tomorrow. I have had numerous other symptoms lately as well though. At night I have muscle twitches. They are not painful, just irritating and adding to my anxiety. Insomnia haunts me too. And I have had sore jaws in the morning, which I think is due to teeth grinding. All that being said, I have decided to move back home and leave this job behind to go back to school. Do all these symptoms and my situation sound like stress and anxiety? Am I being too hard on myself with the health thing? I have a constant feeling that I have some disease or neurological disorder, heart condition, etc. I have made an appt. with my psychiatrist in a couple of weeks also. Please, I just need maybe some peace of mind or some understanding because nobody in my family suffers from this type of stuff. The heart thing is what scares me most. Anytime I am not laying down or relaxing, I feel like my heart is beating way too fast. The fear only adds to my problems and I know stress is not good for the heart. Sorry for the long post, I am just exhausted and need some answers. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|