Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Binge eating disorder- best treatment

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi I like to know what the best treatment for binge eating disorder. I've tryed a lot of things: weight watchers, over eaters anonymous,CBT with a clinical psychologist. Millions of diets and exercise routines. Please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper soul18
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi ArtemisSekhmet and welcome to ehealth: My best response to this question would be: Will power.....This is something that you cannot buy....It is there for all of us, but we have to find it and bring it front and center...Kind of like our hidden gift....It involves teaching one side of your brain to shut down the tyrant that is trying to control you....Believe me, it does work....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied April 15th, 2012
It has nothing to do with will power. It's an eating disorder. Tell an anorexic to have the will power to just eat and you will get the same result.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
It doesn't work that way. Binge eating is biochemical. Will power has nothing to do with it.

I've been through a similar path... I've tried everything! The CBT has helped me have a healthier relationship with food and myself but I still binge (sometimes purge).
If you've practiced the simple ways of dealing with it but can't seem to shake the behavior, you're just like me. During Feb I went 34 days without binging and this month I've binged six times! Nothing has changed since then except I planned a trip to Hawaii but that's good news!

Anyway, this helps me:
try eating only the things you love. Think about what you really love to eat for breakfast and eat it.
I avoid gluten bc it can cause inflammation in the gut thus preventing nutrient absorption perpetuating the binge urge
Take a really good probiotic
I also dabble in amino acids but I study nutrition and its a bit complex to type out on my iPhone but I use 'crave control' by Integrative Nutrition
Exercise, but not too much, excessive exercise can have the opposite effect and actually be anti-nutrient
Avoid, alcohol, smoking, drugs, caffeine... Also all anti-nutrient (meaning it take nutrients from the body to deal with the toxicity going on within)

Good luck
Ps if you want the western med route, I've heard topamax works for binge eating
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2012
Community Volunteer
abebee wrote:
It doesn't work that way. Binge eating is biochemical. Will power has nothing to do with it.

I've been through a similar path... I've tried everything! The CBT has helped me have a healthier relationship with food and myself but I still binge (sometimes purge).
If you've practiced the simple ways of dealing with it but can't seem to shake the behavior, you're just like me. During Feb I went 34 days without binging and this month I've binged six times! Nothing has changed since then except I planned a trip to Hawaii but that's good news!

Anyway, this helps me:
try eating only the things you love. Think about what you really love to eat for breakfast and eat it.
I avoid gluten bc it can cause inflammation in the gut thus preventing nutrient absorption perpetuating the binge urge
Take a really good probiotic
I also dabble in amino acids but I study nutrition and its a bit complex to type out on my iPhone but I use 'crave control' by Integrative Nutrition
Exercise, but not too much, excessive exercise can have the opposite effect and actually be anti-nutrient
Avoid, alcohol, smoking, drugs, caffeine... Also all anti-nutrient (meaning it take nutrients from the body to deal with the toxicity going on within)

Good luck
Ps if you want the western med route, I've heard topamax works for binge eating

After 8 years, I neither binge nor purge...Will power was the name of the game...Caffeine for me is a part of my diet...3 - 24 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi a day....This has gone on for over 20 years...I, too, eat what I want to...Only I count calories...Each day is different...Today it was pancakes and part of a ham omelet...Add a large Olive Garden Salad and few Breadsticks and tonight some Strawberries and Bananas....I keep track of everything that I eat...If I go overboard then the next day I slack off...The soda is doctor approved as he said as long as I have the equal amount of water that it does not raise my blood pressure....I have found that being happy with my diet and with me, is the name of the game...I would never purge again....This alone was my accomplishment....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied April 15th, 2012
I think it's great that you overcame the eating disorder. But to say it was just will power and nothing and no one else helped you is not acknowledging what really helped. You can't heal in a vaccuum. Something helped you.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2012
Community Volunteer
I helped me...I decided that my brain governs me...I found out that I had a stress in my life that was causing me to run to food for comfort....This had gone on for years....This person controlled me and sometimes the hurt of life is more than a person can handle...So I did what I knew...I ate for comfort....Then one day this person really tore me apart....For me it was sink or swim...Either let go of this guilt feeling that I had and live or disappear to the pits of hell....I choose heaven...

I believe that stress is the main culprit in eating disorder...I believe it is far deeper that we acknowledge...I believe until we get into our mind and discover why we are doing this that we will keep repeating this mistake....This is how I handled it...I believe it is a disorder because I let it be a disorder....It does take strength to overcome it, but just like life, we can overcome....Take care...
|

replied September 7th, 2012
Glad to know that you recovered. My friend had a similar disorder and we lately found it. But nothing helped her but treatment. Of course will power is required to accomplish anything in life. But something is needed to build that right. He was emotionally disturbed and depressed. Thankfully, we found a friend whose sister had a similar problem and upon his recommendation we took her to a health clinic in Toronto, Bellwood. He was undergone sessions, counselling , discussions with nutritionist and it took three months to recover completely. I would seeking a good treatment if you fail to come out from eating disorders by all means.
|

replied January 8th, 2013
Binge-eating is best treated by traditional eating-disorder treatments that are available in centres , such as helping patients reduce or eliminate bingeing, improving their self-esteem and body acceptance, and treating underlying psychological problems such as depression and anxiety.
|

replied March 6th, 2013
I guess you really didn't have an eating disorder Caroline. Anyone who has struggled with it knows it is not will power. It is a brain disease and needs serious care and attention from professionals. Your black and white thinking and lack of compassion is unappealing. If you are really struggling with an eating disorder God's word says, " He that thinks he is standing BEWARE that he doesn't fall." Or " pride before a crash"
|

replied March 6th, 2013
3- 24 oz of diet Pepsi is binging on pop in my opinion. I'm a Naturopath and Clinical Nutritionist by the way. It sounds like you need help for that
|

replied March 6th, 2013
3- 24 oz of diet Pepsi is binging on pop in my opinion. I'm a Naturopath and Clinical Nutritionist by the way. It sounds like you need help for that
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.