Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Bile leak after stent and gallbladder removal

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I was diagnosed with gallstones a month back and had surgery to remove the gallbladder.
During the surgery, they noticed that I was born with an extra duct between my liver and gallbladder.
They removed the gallbladder and they placed a small clip on the duct since it was very small (2mm long).

After the surgery I had over a week of extreme pain in the abdomen which the doc was unable to diagnose until I insisted on a scan. Scan revealed a lot of fluid in the abdomen (bile) and they drained it out into bags via tubes placed into my abdomen.

As I was still leaking they suggested stenting by ERCP. This was done about 4 days ago and I still have one tube into my abdomen to monitor the leak. I am still leaking around 300ml/24hrs of bile.

Doc thinks it's the small duct thats still leaking and the stent hasn't diverted all the bile away.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I've already spent a small fortune on surgery and hospital costs and would like my nightmare to end.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 22nd, 2013
BILE LEAK FOLLOWING CHOLECYSTECTOMY
i had gall bladder surgery 2 years ago and had bile leak which is acid in the abdomen. pain was unbelievable!! after surgery i was so ill but medical staff sent me home for acting "like a baby" and insisted it was wind pain from key hole surgery!!, i am a tough old bird so i knew that was not the case. They sent me home, and a day later had to call doctor home and he sent me via ambulance and stayed with me the whole time until the paramedics arrived. while in hospital again i was neglected, nursing staff were horrid to me. i was on high doses of morphine for the pain and then CT Scan and MRI revealed a large amount of bile leak which was engulfing my stomach region.by this time (4days post op) i was at death's door! They did an immediate op with five surgeons present and family was told it could be fatal. i was in intensive care after that for a day and in hospital for 3 weeks!! i still have discomfort when i eat, my body feels abnormal in its digestive system. i have recently had blood test which has shown abnormal liver function for which i have been asked by doctor to come see her about on saturday. please keep an eye on this, it can damage your digestive system, liver or pancreas. sorry i cant be of much help but felt i had to share this experience for others that may be going through similar thing.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.