Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Bilateral renal parenchyma

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
hi, my dad is 65 with diabetes.2 days back he has been hospitalized with high fever and vomiting. her ultrasound came out to be " bilateral renal parenchyma with exaggeration" and his createnine level in 3.81. what does it mean? are both of the kidneys not working? can he recover from it?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lin77
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A9339
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether the results of a creatinine level of 3.81 may indicate decreased renal function.

The typical human reference ranges for serum creatinine are 0.7 to 1.2 mg/dL (60-110 μmol/L) for men. Sometimes serum creatinine of 2.0 mg/dL (150 μmol/L) may indicate normal kidney function in a male. Ultrasound result of "bilateral renal parenchyma with exaggeration" means that the renal parenchyma is more visible due to a process, due to infection, tumors, or scarification of the renal tissue. Individuals that experience diabetes develop angiopathy due to atherosclerosis of the blood vessels. Due to this angiopathy they may experience kidney problems, vision problems or neuropathy.

Given the symptoms that you described, it seems likely that your father experiences an acute infection. There is a possibility that he may be experiencing acute or chronic renal failure. He may consider seeing a nephrologist once he is released from the hospital to rule out or to confirm renal failure. He might need to have dialysis if doctors suggest that kind of treatment for the current conditions.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact you father's doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a nephrologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment option.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.