Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Bilateral and posterior rib cage pain

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I have had bowel problems( likely ibs or spastic colon) and excessive gas for many years. Lately though I get deep, dull pain in my rib cage from my back getting worse in my sides and easing off towards the front. I'm def not constipated and have no trouble relieving my gas. If I press on my ribs kinda like a hug I have rebound pain. Not having any luck finding info on pain in both sides and primarily in back. Any direction would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you may be having cholecystitis or Inflammation of the gall bladder. It occurs when bile becomes trapped in the gallbladder.

The common presentation of such conditions include - Pain or tenderness under the rib cage on the right side , Pain between shoulder blades, Stools light or chalky colored, Indigestion after eating, especially fatty or greasy foods, Nausea, Dizziness, Bloating, Gas, Burping or belching, Feeling of fullness or food not digesting, Diarrhea (or alternating from soft to watery) and or Constipation.

Some measures that may help to control the symptoms include pain relievers and a low fat diet (when food can be tolerated).

You may consult with your doctor, who can get a ultrasound or a chest X ray, which may help in proper diagnosis and specific treatment.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.