Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

Big drop in HdL

Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
Hello,
I just had my cholesterol levels checked and I was very pleased with most of the results, but I'm very concerned about the big drop in HdL and wonder how this affects my cholesterol overall since hdl is the good cholesterol. My levels were as follows:
Cholesterol: 146 -- down from Feb.'09 level of 188
Triglycerides 102 -- down from Feb.'09 level of 126
HdL 43 -- down from Feb.'09 level of 67
Ldl 83 -- down from Feb.'09 level of 96
cholesterol/hdl lipoprotein 3.4 -- down from Feb.'09 level of 2.8

The only thing that has changed from a year ago is that I am not consuming as much unrefined coconut oil, and my doctor started me on Estratest (estrogen/testosterone) hormones 6 months ago which led to a weight increase.
Any suggestions on raising my hdl?
Anyone know how this affects my cholesterol overall, this large drop in hdl?
Please advise.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2010
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

It is really heartening to know that your bad cholesterol (LDL & Triglycerides) levels have gone down. This is a good sign.

However, a lowering of the HDL is definitely not a good sign. The best way to increase the HDL is by doing some regular exercise. 30 minutes of brisk walking daily should help you bring up your HDL cholesterol.

There are drugs to improve the lipid profile but they mainly play a role in reducing the bad cholesterol and have a minimal effect on the good cholesterol.

Exercise is the safest and the best way to improve HDL. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cholesterol , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.